Open For Business

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Open For Business

Post by T on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 am

LePage's crowning achievement, economic or otherwise. Maine's economic problems have been solved. applause

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link

Last edited by T on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

T

Number of posts : 2615
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Open For Business

Post by T on Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am

LePage must be proud of making the state louder, dirtier, and more dangerous.

Where I live, we are experiencing fireworks nearly 24/7. It’s rural and the Sherriff’s Department can’t keep up with the complaints, so we must grin and bear it. My neighbor is a Vietnam vet, and he can’t sleep nights. We are hoping the use of fireworks will subside after the 4th.

If I was a police officer and received a noise complaint, I’d advise the RP to call the Governor at 207-287-3531 or e-mail him at: http://www.maine.gov/governor/lepage/citizen_services/ideas-suggestions.shtml

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm

South Portland Police received 67 fireworks-related complaints last month. Last June, they only got 8. Lt. Frank Clark of the South Portland Police Department said, "We're responding on almost a nightly basis on what we did in the first 6 months of last year."

Orono also has had problems. Lt. Scott Luciano of the Orono Fire Department said, "What we've seen is people throwing them out of vehicles and starting small grass fires on the side of the road. I think people don't really know some of the laws and we want to get that out to the public."

Link

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:56 am

“I served a year in the Marines in Vietnam and heard and saw all the 'fireworks' that I wanted,” wrote Charlie Newell.

“When I hear fireworks today, I don't have flashbacks nor do I dive for cover. I know where I am, know that I am safe and that a time in my life is in the past.”

“My concern here is for those veterans who have had similar experiences and may not have those events so clearly out of their minds as I do.”

“I worry about how fireworks affect them and am also concerned that they might not speak out about it. A lot of veterans don't like to talk about such things and even though they are bothered, might not say so.”

“Fireworks and artillery are certainly different,” Newell said, “but the sounds can, in some cases, be quite similar.”

“I have a 12-year-old son who was unable to sleep on a school night because of fireworks being shot off between 10 and 10:30 on a week night,” she said.

“He has to get up by 6 a.m. to get to school. My husband and I also frequently must wake at early hours to go to our jobs -- sometimes as early as 3 to 3:30 a.m.”

“Fireworks being launched late into the night on weekdays have kept us up on several occasions.”

Joan Kintz of Patch Mountain seconded that concern, and also expressed her own frustration with the lack of response by the Oxford County Sheriff's Department. She said she and her companion had documented fireworks since June 21, “and there have been fireworks every day. Twice it has been well past 10 o'clock, and some have been too big to be legal. “The sheriff does not want to respond to fireworks, so we have no recourse. ” She argued that a town ordinance banning or restricting the use of fireworks might improve enforcement.

On that point Selectman Amy Chapman was sympathetic but skeptical. “My only concern is whether we would get any real enforcement,” she said. “A lot of what people are calling about is already illegal. It's after 10, they're using them on other people's private property, or they're using them on public property, but it seems the Sheriff's Department and even the state police [who alternate coverage of Greenwood], are pretty maxed out, so I don't know if it would do any good.”

The Bethel Citizen

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:07 am

Yesterday was July 14th and we had fireworks being launched on and off all day until 10:30-11:00 pm. This has been going on since the end of June.

I counted the number of area residents within a mile of me who were launching them. It was about 6-7. We were hoping this insanity would subside after the 4th, but it looks like it'll go on indefinitely.

I talked to one guy who said he spent well over $3000 for his fireworks so he'd have a supply to last all summer and plenty to launch on the 4th and Labor Day. If he spent this amount, so have many others.

I thought this state was broke?

I live in a rural area that used to be peaceful. Not anymore.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

Woodstock gets fireworks complaints; petitions expected
By ALISON ALOISIO
Jul 19, 2012 12:00 am

Woodstock selectmen are expecting two petitions requesting a fireworks ordinance, following recent complaints.

"I've had several phone calls in the last three weeks, and several more since Monday morning," Town Manager Vern Maxfield told the board Tuesday. "People are very concerned about upgrading our ordinance. There are two petitions circulating - one asking for a ban, one asking for details on when it would be acceptable to use them."

The town currently allows the use, but not the sale, of fireworks.

Since the state made fireworks legal last year, other area towns, especially Greenwood, have also had complaints about use.

Many of the complaints in Woodstock center around Lake Christopher.

Selectman Rick Young, who lives on the lake, said someone was shooting off fireworks Monday night. "They went on for a good 15 minutes," he said.

And on Saturday night, he said, fireworks had started at 10:20 p.m. and went for about 10 minutes. “They were good sized,” said Young.

"Before 9 p.m. it's not too bad," he continued. "But after 9:30 it gets a little annoying, and when your dogs try to crawl up into your lap, night after night, sitting there panting, that's enough. We've always had fireworks on the pond, but not to this extent. And what I see now is all the paper debris in the lake. I picked up a whole bunch of stuff Sunday morning."

Jennifer Chase, who lives on the Dudley Road, said that after one round of fireworks there was a strong sulfur smell even at her house.

She also said the subject of fireworks had been discussed at this past weekend's annual meeting of the Lakes Association.

“The meeting was a lot about that,” she said.

Link

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am

Legislature could revisit fireworks in Maine

AUGUSTA– State lawmakers may revisit a new law that made several more classes of fireworks legal in 2012. One bill would repeal the law and make most fireworks again illegal to possess. applause applause

SJ Link

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm

More of Maine's economic problems solved! applause applause Way to go Gov'nah! party

LePage signs St. Paddy's Day drinking bill

AUGUSTA — Wearing a leprechaun party hat and smiling broadly, Maine Gov. Paul LePage signed a law Friday that allows the state's bars to serve alcohol starting at 6 a.m. on St. Patrick's Day, when it falls on a Sunday.

Otherwise, Maine law prohibits the sale of alcohol before 9 a.m. on Sunday.

The law passed by the Legislature on Thursday, under an emergency preamble, had been a source of controversy and was criticized by LePage and other Republicans because it was moving faster than bills that would pay off the state's $484 million debt to hospitals.

SJ Link

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:21 am

Oh, you've gotta read this Op/Ed! lol! applause

T