"Whoa"...Time to cut salaries and control costs!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Whoa"...Time to cut salaries and control costs!

Post by T on Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:34 pm

For years we have debated how to deal with the rising cost of healthcare. Obamacare is the law of the land, yet certain Republicans (Cruz, Lee, et al.) dominate the debate and continue to waste time and deflect our attention from an issue that has been essentially ignored: Compensation and the profit incentive aspect of healthcare which leads to insurance fraud.

When law enforcement costs rise, we attack PD salaries, layoff staff, and demand that the department control costs.

When fire department costs rise, we attack FD salaries, layoff staff, and demand that the department control costs.

When public works costs rise, we attack salaries, layoff staff, ignore our infrastructure, and demand that the department control costs.  

When education costs rise, we attack teacher salaries, layoff staff, raid pension funds, and demand schools control costs.

When healthcare costs rise, we ignore physician salaries and hospital profit margins and give them free rein.

WCSH6.com has a short segment called "Saying whoa to your doctor" about giving patients more control of their health care.

Christopher Anderson posted this comment in response:

The unspoken and unaddressed part of this story is insurance fraud. Now, before you pile on, I like my doctor. He's smart, empathetic, great with his patients, and when I ask him a question, he gives me an honest answer. But I educate myself. I keep track of what my body is doing, and have made a point of leanring on an ongoing basis how it works. Then there is my elderly mother, who is obese, type 2 diabetic, a breast cancer survivor, and has a degenerative spinal condition that causes constant pain and problems. Shes on medicare and mainecare. But really, the type of insurance involved has little bearing, other than the fact that the lawyers who run many of these hospitals and clinics now know that it is easier to get medicare to pay than to get private insurance to pay. That said, at 3 month checkup last spring, which was only a checkup/follow up and where she was presenting no new issues, the doctor immediately insisted on a breast exam, a bone density test, and a treadmill stress test (knowing full well that she can barely walk). Each of these tests is expensive, and each of these tests had been performed within the preceeding 9 months. Well, I am one of those adult kids who goes with my mother to every single appointment, and I'm there in the room, no matter what, even if she has to take her clothes off. I dont leave her alone for a second. So when the doctor asked for these 3 tests, which I know are expensive, I took my folder that I was taking notes in and I poked my mother in her breast. "Did that hurt?" I asked. "No." She said. Then I took my folder and I whacked her on her knee. "Did that hurt your bone?" I asked. Mom said "no." Then I asked her "Did those two tests just stress you out?" She said "No." I turned to the doctor and said, "There, tests complete, all results negative. Look how much money I just saved Medicare. This appointment is over. Schedule a follow up in another 3 months." And we left. As her primary caretaker, I have made it my business to know my mother's health front and back, top to bottom. Her conditions are relatively static, but when something is askew, we get it taken care of very quickly. But as an American, I am astutely aware that because she is on medicare, she is an easy target. And anything charged to her medicare comes direcetly out of the pocket of hard working Americans who are paying into the system. The doctor who owns the practice is very reputable, and has been very successful, and already drives a 200,000 dollar British luxury sports saloon that I will not name. No hard feelings there. He's got good taste in cars. My point is, health care in America has DEvolved into a for-profit business. I'm not against people making money, but I'm not going to stand by and let my mother, with her conditions and pain level, endure 3 tests that not only cause her immediate and acute pain while they are being done, but are not nescessary, based on no presentation of new symptoms and not much time passed since they were last done. When there is a symptom to be addressed, it should be addressed diagnostically with the simplest and least expensive methods first, graduating up to the more in depth and expensive diagnostics if truly needed. And just because an old, fat, broken down woman comes in for a routine checkup when nothing has changed, does not give that doctor an excuse to start sticking her into million dollar machines "just to take a look". That's not what the million dollar machines are there for. When theres a symptom, diagnose and treat it. When you go in for a headache, sticking you in a million dollar machine for 40 minutes knowing full well that your insurance is paid up to date, is called fraud.

Something to think about.

T

Number of posts : 2905
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Whoa"...Time to cut salaries and control costs!

Post by T on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 pm

I thought Republican/Tea Partiers wanted to cut healthcare costs?  

Republican/Tea Party politicians (actually, just the ones who hate Obama and his skin color) were claiming this weekend that Obamacare is costing healthcare jobs.  They claim hospitals are laying off staff left and right, evidence that Obamacare is a failure.

Well...if true, hospitals are cutting their costs which in turn will reduce healthcare costs in general.  Isn't this what the Republican/Tea Partiers wanted?

After all, when costs in the public sector (state workers, teachers, police, fire, public works, etc.) need to be reduced, we cut staff...correct?

Republican/Tea Party Hypocrites

T

Number of posts : 2905
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top