Scenic Overlooks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scenic Overlooks

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:33 pm

The new scenic overlooks featured on a local blog are very attractive. But let's look a bit deeper...

• The funds were mis-appropriated from the sidewalk maintainence fund, leaving our business district sidewalks with gaping holes and pieces of metal sticking up.
  • The stonework was done by a private contractor, not the public works department.
  • The pathway, which now is not handicap accessible due to the overlooks, was cut in violation of shoreland zoning laws.
  • During the summer months, the foliage is so thick, one cannot see much more than trees while walking the short path.
  • The construction nearly cost one public works employee a limb, if not his life, due to usage of a chainsaw oin the steep terrain.
  • If our community, in fact, has an increase in crime, it makes perfect sense for the town to make a secluded area for people to be violated. It was pointed out that we don't have rapes in town, but a secluded area such as this could lend itself to such activity.

Personally, I think the fiscally responsible choice would be to repair the infastructure that has been neglected for the past 20 years, rather than build a walking path that nobody knows is there.

Although it violated the rules, the mis-appropriation of our road funds to build the business park was a much more sensible option (in comparison). The park was begun with the understanding that CMP wanted to move there. Unfortunately, there was no commitment. Our town leaders approve a plan to maintain and rebuild roads as a part of a 10 year plan. That plan was blown apart to build the road to nowhere. The current board was smart enough to put a halt to the paving of the road until after the lots were cleared. Their thought was to keep the skidders off of the new pavement. Also, they wanted to look into providing a spur from the gas pipeline for potential businesses. This is what is called "thinking ahead". I still don't agree with everything they do, but this board hasn't mis-appropriated any funds that I know of. I no longer can attend the meetings because of other commitments, but I try to keep up with what is happening. We need more citizens who care enough to do the same. Just like the sang on Scrubs says, "I can't do this all by myself, I'm no superman". Smile

Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scenic Overlooks

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, I love the stonework overlooks, but Kevin makes some interesting and thought provoking points.
I'm curious: Does anyone know the cost of this project?

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:06 pm

I love the new Stonework too but did have questions about this project. Does anyone know what the roots of this project were or what the cost will be?
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:38 pm

Kevin is right. This job was supposed to be done by last winter and the trail was to be paved and stone wok done by snowfall last year. They got like $100,000 dollars in some grant to do this and they had to return $50,000 because it was never complete.

Jason Thompson

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I wondered about where the money from that came from.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top