Maine Adopts a Voluntary Statewide Building Code

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maine Adopts a Voluntary Statewide Building Code

Post by KevinNSaisi on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:23 pm

TRR wrote:Marking the end of a decades-long debate over adoption of a statewide building code, on March 30, 2004, P.L. 2003, chapter 580 was signed into law, paving the way for the Maine Model Building Code to begin taking effect in municipalities throughout the State as of July 30, 2004.

The new law creates the Maine Model Building Code ("MMBC"), which is composed of the International Residential Code and International Building Code, both of which are part of the International Codes Council ("ICC") family of codes. [b]The law does not mandate that any municipality adopt the MMBC, but requires that, if a municipality does voluntarily choose to adopt a new residential or non-residential building code, it must adopt the MMBC. The law allows municipalities the flexibility of adopting only portions of the MMBC and of amending the MMBC locally if it wishes to do so.

Yet again the state government is interfering in municipal business. When are we going to learn that thye want to control everything?? The purpose of a state government is to tend to the affairs of the state, not county affairs and certainly not town affairs. With qauzi-mandated codes, it won't be long before every structure in the state has to be rebuilt. I agree with safety, but there are limits. I don't like Washinbgton or Augusta telling us what to do.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Maine Adopts a Voluntary Statewide Building Code

Post by Timeout on Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:43 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the mandated building, life safety and rehab code that will be effective 01/01/09 supercedes this information.

Kevin, I share your baby-boomer, resist authority sentiment (classically typical for our generation and a little older). That said, it is pretty clear looking around Rumford that laissez-faire doesn't work for everyone...otherwise we wouldn't have the buildings in the condition that we do.

Rules and laws have a place in society. As I tell my kids, most of the home rules are about safety, not dictatorship. People follow rules for different reasons, they think it's the respectful or right thing to do, they agree with the law, they don't want to get in trouble...doesn't really matter what the reason but laws give structure and provide incentives for safety...it's a bit idealistic to think everyone will automatically do the "right" thing without prompting. I know the girls never clean up their hazard zones (oops, I mean rooms) until I invite them to do so...grownups aren't always so different.
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top