Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Post by Timeout on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:24 am

From SJ - "Selectman Frank DiConzo then had to stifle a shouting match between Theriault and resident Ron Russell over who had the right to speak..." Another citizen would have removed from the meeting after the number of times this citizen has decided to take back the floor while another is speaking...he's done it to many others. He even shouted down the Chairman last winter, putting the man on the spot because Therriault had already filed a complaint against him and was threatening a law suit...this isn't about the FD or anything...it's about RT's desire to control. He's OUT of control and OUT OF ORDER.
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm

From SJ- Ron T was quoted
He said he has 12 wheelchair-bound clients and one blind client and, to
make them cross the street to skirt firetrucks protruding into the
walkway would also be illegal.
c'mon now, would the blind guy really be walking down Congress St. after parking his car where? There is no parking on the island that would require a pedestrian to walk past the FD entrance. There are ample routes for anyone coming to or leaving the island to use that wouldn't require crossing the FD entrance.
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:14 pm

I did see those lines had been repainted at the Franklin Bank exit. Why?
What are they? The only other place they occur is in the parking lot next to Western Maine insurance on the River St. side. If they are a psuedo sidewalk why aren't they everywhere? Even the library doesn't have these lines. If they are a cross walk would somebody PLEASE paint in the remaining lines?
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Oh, and the Mexico FD doesn't have a "pseudo sidewalk" so their trucks would likely be out in the road and blocking their doorway. I don't think there is room to fully pull them out front of the building
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I would love to get into the nuts and bolts of this conversation but, I find it would probably be best if I just stayed out of it. Since I would be seen as having a biased opinion anyway.
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:29 pm

It is very unfortunate that the meeting wasn’t taped. I wish the people that where not in attendance could see the behavior being displayed, Kevin is right it was a very one sided report
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:38 pm

Mark,
If I recall correctly, Kevin said he did not attend the meeting.

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:46 pm

You are correct Kevin did not, but I did.
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Kevin was apparently told by a couple of people about the “show”.
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:51 pm

WHAT??? Kevin spouting hearsay???? dunno

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:13 pm

bug wrote:WHAT??? Kevin spouting hearsay???? dunno

At least I was honest and indicated it was something that was told to me. How many people in the conversation actually attended the meeting? How many are judging the actions on what they read without asking anyone who was there? At least I asked two reputable people about the meeting before making any comment. If you notice, despite having more knowledge of the meetin than what was in the newspaper, my comments were focused upon TRR's report, not the issue nor the personalities of those involved in the issue.

I have been told that some are surprised/disapponted that I commented on the reporting of TRR. Now that the national election is over, I guess I was looking for something else to read. In the past I have stated that visiting her site only encourages her. I have stated that if you ignore her, she will eventually go away. I guess I let curiosity get the better of me. I make every effort to not visit her website, but I sometimes slip. When I read the article on the meeting, I guess I was just too tempting to point out the falws. I will endeover to assure it doesn't happen again.
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Kevin, i know visiting TRR is like looking at last week's lunch in terms of being appetizing, but we do appreciate your insight into it, so, if you don't mind, please continue to visit it (when your stomach is strong enough) and give us your input. You know the players well and you are not quick to judge or go for the cheap joke (ok, like me). So, please, if you can, continute to monitor TRR.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm

marktripp wrote:I would love to get into the nuts and bolts of this conversation but, I find it would probably be best if I just stayed out of it. Since I would be seen as having a biased opinion anyway.

I would love to hear your opinion. I'm sure you could limit your opinion to facts which would make all sides of the issue easier to understand. We've heard from Mr. Theriault and The Rumford Reporter. Now I'd like to hear from someone from the RFD.

T

Number of posts : 2324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:14 pm

Lol, our conversation probably isn't promoting any municipal change but it is a good debate! Please join in and make us well rounded!
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:25 am

Kevin, I think we agreed earlier in the year that we would set up a 12-step meeting for people who are addicted to TRR. Maybe you just need to attend a few meetings...lol... resist the temptation, man...call a friend first.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:18 am

Well here are some facts: The trucks are not parked outside to “show off”, they are placed out front for multiple reasons which include but are not limited to, washing, filling up with water, station maintenance, truck maintenance, when we are going back out for something, and training to name a few reasons. Personally I never looked at this as a problem, because it had never been brought up by someone other than TRR. If this is truly about safety then why not discontinue the “white lines” painted across the two driveways? There is more safety issues than just the fire station. It is very busy coming out of the bank drive-thru. There is a sidewalk out on river st with a cross walk that can lead you to the alley way between Town Hall, Fire Station or to the Bank That is the “safest” scenario in my opinion. So now the question remains is this really about safety? RT stated at the meeting that if someone with a wheel chair parked out in front of Town Hall in the handicapped spot to go register their car and then go to the bank they would be put in harms way. Well he is right, because they would have to go up the road in their wheel chair to find a break in the side walk, and then they would have to climb the stairs. I know as well as anyone else this is not a realistic scenario. He was grasping for straws. The Town Hall has handicapped parking space out on River st that leads you to the elevator and the Bank has handicapped parking as well.
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:50 am

As much as I am reluctant to be aligned with RT, I have to agree that, lines or not, there is an implied walkway between the bank and town hall. Technically, the fire apparatus is blocking the public way which is illegal. I am told that they wash the trucks inside in the winter. Other maintainence isn't likely to be done on a regular basis (BTW: why do the trucks need to be washed daily). Perhaps if the trucks were washed at times when the public is least likely to be present, and only once a week, unless it goes on a call, then the problem would be eliminated. How about washing the trucks on Sundays?? I would venture a guess that they don't get too dirty sitting in the garage. Another alternative is for a firefighter to be present at all times when the truck is on the apron to handle traffic and assure the safe passage of pedestrians in the roadway.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:04 am

At this point, I think we are beginning to micromanage the problem. Why do I always go to Monty Python in my head? I started thinking about the metaphor of beating a dead horse and then I started thinking about the Norwegian Blue Parrot sketch those darkly humored Brits came up with..."This bird is dead, it is no more, it has ceased to be, it has gone to meet it's Maker, it's pushing up the daisies..." I think I'll try to do something productive today. God bless the Veterans.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:10 am

And now for something completly different..... Smile
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Other maintainence isn't likely to be done on a regular basis (BTW: why do the trucks need to be washed daily). Perhaps if the trucks were washed at times when the public is least likely to be present, and only once a week, unless it goes on a call, then the problem would be eliminated. How about washing the trucks on Sundays??

This is one of the many misconceptions. The trucks do not get washed daily. Some get washed less than once a week. They get washed when they are beyond wiping down. Plus they do have weekly maintenance preformed on them that requires more space than we have in the Station.
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 pm

So, why not make Saturday & Sunday "Truck Days"? I'm sure there are lots of other things you can do on the weekdays.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:15 pm

Wouldn't any change in the routine (schedule) be up to the fire chief?

T

Number of posts : 2324

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:19 pm

Well, officially it would have to be approved by him, but that doesn't prevent anyone from making a common sence suggestion.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:33 pm

Why re-invent the wheel? We have a set schedule that works just fine.
marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:41 pm

.... except for the little pedestrian safety issue.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top