Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Life Safety Applicable to Landlords But Not the Fire Department

Post by C on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:45 pm

So, why not make Saturday & Sunday "Truck Days"? I'm sure there are lots of other things you can do on the weekdays.

I'm sure there is probaby maintenance and equipment checking that needs to be done on a regular, more than weekends, basis. Why should they have to change what they've been doing for years just because of TRR and RT's fussing? I think most would agree that section of Congress St. isn't a safe place for pedestrians, I don't think painting a crosswalk in front of the FD entrance or moving fire trucks would most effectively solve the issue.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:19 pm

My feeling is simple, if it is about safety then why not do the safest thing? I am sure with “bug” it is about safety, because she(I’m assuming she?) has not attacked the FD or any employee’s but we all know it is not about safety in RT eyes.

marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 pm

With Kevin? Who knows he likes to argue both sides at times.

marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:25 pm

Mark,
I really don't care what RT says about the issue. I do have concerns myself. After listening to the discussion here, I believe it would be best to try and work around the situation. Just as we cannot address an issue because RT brings it up, we also cannot ignore an issue because RT brings it up.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Okay, how is making Saturday and Sunday truck day a common sense solution? Do people in wheelchairs not go out on Saturday or Sunday?

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:36 pm

Can we also regulate the weather and have fires only on Monday through Friday during business hours so as not to disrupt Truck Washing Days? One more thing, can I bring my car in for a shampoo?

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 pm

Timeout wrote:Okay, how is making Saturday and Sunday truck day a common sense solution? Do people in wheelchairs not go out on Saturday or Sunday?

Have you gone downtown on the weekend?? The entire upper psrt of Congress st. is emoty. After Noon on Saturday, only the ATM is open. The end result is there is a MUCH less liklihood of anyone being put in danger on the weekend.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:49 pm

Timeout wrote:Can we also regulate the weather and have fires only on Monday through Friday during business hours so as not to disrupt Truck Washing Days? One more thing, can I bring my car in for a shampoo?

Why do I even try?? Rolling Eyes

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:51 pm

Lol...good question. Good night all!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:09 pm

Looking at that photo in TRR, it seems there is some disregard for the crosswalk painted on the street. It appears from the photo that the apperrent father of the child is teaching him by example that he does not have to use crosswalks. A crosswalk, simply put, is a sidewalk painted across the roadway for pedestrians to safely cross the street. So if people choose not to use a crosswalk properly, why, all of a sudden, is there such a problem with what's in front of the fire station?

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:22 pm

In the photo, the man would be at fault for jay-walking. The issue with the fire station is that the walkways are being obstructed by a vehicle.
I think pedestrians tend to take the straightest route to get where they want to go, as shown in the photo of the man walking diagonally across the street instead of using the crosswalk. (Exception: All those admirable Weight Watcher people who use those pedometers that count their steps and measure their miles. They go the long way.) So, I believe that even if the lines in front of the bank and fire station were blacked out, people would still walk a direct line in front of those two buildings. So, would painting the lines make it any safer?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Z wrote:...So if people choose not to use a crosswalk properly, why, all of a sudden, is there such a problem with what's in front of the fire station?
Well, the problem isn't really "all of a sudden". I for one, had noticed and commented on it to friends, but never had the courage to bring it before the proper authorities. Someone (RT) finally did. Unfortunately, calling the members of the fire department 'show-offs' was probably not the way to get people to listen to his presentation or accept that he had anything valid to say.

Back to top Go down

Post by steve on Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:43 pm

I've been reading this thread for some time, but I have stayed out of the fray...until now. This appears to be almost Shakespearean in content: Much Ado About Nothing. The practice of parking the fire apparatus on the apron for washing, maintenance, inside floor cleaning, etc. has been going on since before some of you were born. Why is it now such a controversy? Is Mr. Theriault upset because the traffic coming around the corner onto Congress St. is focused on the fire engines instead of his business? Perhaps it goes much deeper than that. Maybe, as a kid, he wasn't allowed to use the water bubbler in the back of the fire station (which, by the way, had the COLDEST water in town). Maybe he didn't get a toy fire truck for Christmas. OK, I know I'm being facetious, but my comments are no more ridiculous than the brouhaha over the fire trucks being parked on the apron. If that's a major point of contention in Rumford these days, I'm glad I'm not there to witness it. There's a crosswalk going across the street there, there's an unimpeded walkway between the fire station and the town hall, and there's a walkway behind the fire station on River Street. If anyone is uncomfortable walking in front of the fire apparatus, use the alternatives. GET A LIFE, PEOPLE!!!

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Steve,
Maybe to you hopping off a curb or jaunting across a street and hopping up onto a curbing is not a hardship. To some it is. Things HAVE changed since you were a kid. Maybe you should catch up. I suggest starting with the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990. ENRICH YOUR LIFE, STEVE!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by steve on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:45 pm

Bug,

For what it's worth I, too, am disabled so don't throw up the ADA - I know all about it.

steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 pm

Okay, how about this....

Are the fire trucks longer now than they were when we were younger? I recall back when I was on the board most of our apparatus was 1970 and older vintage. I believe you will find that the current apparatus is longer and therefore causing people to have to walk further into the road.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:39 pm

Kevin,

They did stick out beyond the white lines. When the old Ladder truck was in the station it stuck a lot farther than these trucks do. A police cruiser just barley fits between the station and white lines.

marktripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:04 am

What the station was built for:

"In March of 1924 the Town proposed to build a new central station at an estimated cost of $80,000. The Town voted its approval on May 17, 1924. Construction began in May of 1924 and it opened on March 25, 1925 at a cost of $95,000. Its first call was on congress Street on March 25, 1925 in the Cheney Block. It was caused by a cigar setting a curtain on fire and was contained to the window frame area. The Estimated damage was $25.00.
The new building was located on Congress Street beside the Town Hall. The original apparatus housed in the building were: A Ford Chemical truck, 1917 American LaFrance city service ladder truck, 1924 American LaFrance chain drive 750 GPM engine with a 250 Gallon tank, motor driven chemical / hose truck, horse drawn combination chemical-hose wagon, and a Chief’s car. "

Found this information at this site:

http://www.rumfordfire.org/new_page_1.htm

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:14 am

The apparatus grew in size. Unfortunately, the space between the station and the road did not. Floors still need to be cleaned. Equipment still needs to be maintained. The Fire Department is being put on a spot that it does not deserve to be on. They do the best they can with what they have.

You are correct, bug. Maybe things might have unfolded differently if RT had not put the Fire Department in a position where they had to immediately defend themselves with his comments. After all, you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:19 am

marktripp wrote:Kevin,

They did stick out beyond the white lines. When the old Ladder truck was in the station it stuck a lot farther than these trucks do. A police cruiser just barley fits between the station and white lines.

Mark,
What year is the old ladder truck??

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:36 am

KevinNSaisi wrote:
marktripp wrote:Kevin,

Mark,
What year is the old ladder truck??

I belive it was a 79, Same year I was born

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:38 pm

Okay, perhaps I was thinking of the previous ladder or one of the engines. I remember being able to pass the front of the fire department while the trucks were out without walking in the road sometime in the past. In 1979, I was riding my bicycle down the sidewalks of Congress Street. I think I would have had to slow down if there had been a fire engine in the way. Smile

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:46 pm

The OLD ariel ladder truck was, I believe, a 1938 or 1939 American LaFrance that was longer than anything they have today; and it was parked on the apron as well.

steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top