View previous topic View next topic Go down

Another BUSSNIESS ON THE island IS CLOSING

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I see the Secret Beneath is closing and moving to the world wide web

Jason

Back to top Go down

Re: Another BUSSNIESS ON THE island IS CLOSING

Post by C on Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:07 pm

They will probably do better on the WWW- probably savings on rent and overhead will more than pay for them to have a nice "virtual" shop. I wish them luck!

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:42 pm

The only problem with that store is they cater to skinny women and nopt both Big and Small women, Not to mention there also WAY WAY over priced.

Steph and Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Sorry, Jason, I know it's sad when you can't find your size. You should shop where the real drag queens shop ... Miss Lula's House of Couture.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Nice Jason, way to kick 'em in the butt on their way out the door. I too am sorry you couldn't find your size or price range. Actually, you could have ordered just about any size you want there...in fact, I believe that's why Mrs. Byam opened the shop.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fred04276 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:25 pm

There is a way to find your size it's called a diet.

fred04276

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:35 pm

fred04276 wrote:There is a way to find your size it's called a diet.
Move on with your life my friend, Why you so mad at the world..

Jason

Last edited by Jason & Stephanie on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Timeout talked me into it....)

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:35 pm

Fred, you're not telling us that Rubenesque women are out of style are you??? Lol...

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Jason, are you just mad cuz you think their stuff was too pricey?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:41 pm

xmashen wrote:Jason, are you just mad cuz you think their stuff was too pricey?

No iM not mad at all, other than at Fred who has no Life... My wife had been in there before and they don't have her size, She can't help if she is a little on the bigger size, Half or most of Rumford is. That's all Im saying.

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Jason, you can edit your post. Why get kicked off for language...it's not worth it. Here's my totally sexist view: I think men should not post on women's underwear - it's a no win situation for them. The only response a man could and should have is, "Honey, you look beautiful to me."

Last edited by Timeout on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:52 pm

are you sure they just didn't have YOUR size? you could have asked.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:54 pm

just teasing ya....

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:00 pm

okay, phew, what else can we talk about? I'm going to watch House on DVR...goodnight all!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Im off to watch the truck Race with my son..Night

Jason

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:12 pm

Fred- many people might take offense at that comment. I'm well within the medically recommended weight range with a BMI of 24. This store wouldn't have had my size either, very rarely do I find a place that does. I do not need to diet.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:14 pm

C wrote:

Fred- many people might take offense at that comment. I'm well within the medically recommended weight range with a BMI of 24. This store wouldn't have had my size either, very rarely do I find a place that does. I do not need to diet.

Thanks applause applause applause hug hug hug

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 pm

Timeout wrote:Jason, you can edit your post. Why get kicked off for language...it's not worth it. Here's my totally sexist view: I think men should not post on women's underwear - it's a no win situation for them. The only response a man could and should have is, "Honey, you look beautiful to me."

oh no, you didn't go there, SOMEBODY tell me she didn't go there.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Focus people, focus!

Post by Mark_Henry on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:18 pm

Maybe the point we should be talking about is that yet another store has closed? Most recently we've lost the Mexico Pet store, Lazarou Motors, and Diconzos recently. This is just another nail on the coffin. One less reason for people to come and shop on the island. What's it going to take? Maddy Pizza is for sale, as is The Chicken Coop. How many more local, family owned stores and restaurants do we need to loose before people stop buying at Wal-Mart, shopping in Auburn or ordering on the Internet? It's far easier to maintain an existing establishment than it is to open a new one. How many more do we need to loose?

Every time you buy something you make a conscious decision on how your money will be spent, where that money goes, and how it might be used to the benefit or detriment of the local economy.

Mark Henry

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:54 am

Why is nobody looking at the REAL reason these businesses are failing? It all comes down to business and marketing plans. When you open a retail establishment, it is essential to do a market analysis. From there you need to develop business and marketing strategies. Many businesses fail because there was insufficient demand for their product within their marketing area. We can blame WalMart and online competitors if we want, but they are known factors that should have been included in the market analysis. If the data says your boat won't float, don't rely upon it to cross the ocean.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:05 pm

I believe the restaurants are either for sale of closing based upon two factors:

1. The restaurant owners have to get out of the business for personal or health factors

2.The restaurant owners acquired a previously successful business and believed that the success was part of the asking price. They never changed the way of doing business, or conversely made drastic changes that were harmful to the bottom line.

Either way, we cannot blame Wal Mart or the Internet for any significant competition.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:50 pm

I agree Kevin, if someone had purchased Freddy's and kept that name- the people who loved Freddy's would be disappointed if the menu and food was any different and those who disliked Freddy's would still dislike Freddy's, because to them it would be the same. If they re-named the business they might have an appeal to a wider group as a "new restaurant", without any previous reputation attached.

I always liked the Chicken Coop before the change of ownership. I went in there expecting a seafood dinner comparable to those served by the previous owners and was disappointed. I haven't been there since. I don't know what their profit margin is vs. old ownership, but perhaps adopting a new name, menu or marketing to differentiate themselves from previous ownership could have been beneficial.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:50 pm

Mark_Henry wrote:Maybe the point we should be talking about is that yet another store has closed? Most recently we've lost the Mexico Pet store, Lazarou Motors, and Diconzos recently. This is just another nail on the coffin. One less reason for people to come and shop on the island. What's it going to take? Maddy Pizza is for sale, as is The Chicken Coop. How many more local, family owned stores and restaurants do we need to loose before people stop buying at Wal-Mart, shopping in Auburn or ordering on the Internet? It's far easier to maintain an existing establishment than it is to open a new one. How many more do we need to loose?

Every time you buy something you make a conscious decision on how your money will be spent, where that money goes, and how it might be used to the benefit or detriment of the local economy.

Mark Henry

You are so right about people making choices on where to shop. Unfortunately the shops don't always carry the products I need. I realize it's a Catch-22 situation but I'm not sure what the answer is. For example, I did my kid's Christmas shopping at the Maine Mall on Saturday in about 30 minutes. I went to Pac Sun, Hot Topic, Journeys and Claire's. I'm buying two ski passes to Sunday River because my kids are with their dad in Bethel on the weekends. That's it...all done shopping. I can't realistically expect any of the places I shop this year to come and establish a business that will attract me for only a year or two. It used to be GAP, Old Navy, Aeropostale and Abercrombie - we're way out of the prep phase and into the black phase now...in a few years it will be something else. My kids only fit in jeans from Pac Sun. I don't know why. We've shopped the entire area from here to Lewiston to South Portland...they are too skinny and too tall for anything else. Believe me, I wish they did fit in the jeans from Wal-Mart. If I don't have to get in my car and waste gas & time by ordering on-line, I do. I can't speak for any other consumers here, but I don't buy my cars at Lazarou's (usually get them from Uncle Henry's lol), I don't go out to eat too much and I already have two cats and don't need any more pets. These businesses are specialized and that's one of the reasons they fail and Wal-Mart continues to operate. They don't have the buying power of chain stores and don't have the outlets to redistribute unsold goods to. Plus a million other reasons. Internet shopping has changed the world and it's here to stay...we can't keep basing a marketing strategy on something that ignores this fact.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:53 pm

Stores like Carlisle's and Bartash rely on the older, loyal customer who has done business here year after year. Unless they can bring in the younger consumer, a completely different type of shopper, they will eventually go the way of the other stores.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:55 pm

In order to keep the appearance of a downtown shopping, I think Rumford needs quick start-up, low overhead business which is geared toward current shopping trends.

Last edited by Timeout on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top