What do we really need?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do we really need?

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:15 pm

Guess I'm just in survival mode. I've been thinking that Rumford Point is a good place to live. I don't rely on town sewer, water or plowing. I really don't shop downtown. My two purchases yesterday were at Wal-Mart and the Dollar Tree...I tried to rationalize buying gift wrap downtown but $1.00 seems just too practical to pass up. The other item was only available at a chain store, whether Wal-Mart, Rite Aid or Hannaford. The only downtown business I frequent is Adley's because my car always needs something fixed.

I support the police and fire because those are the services I want available. I support the schools, library and parks because I have two children. I've read lately that supporting these services means you are aligned in some questionable way with one group or another. I'm way too practical for that. Oh, there is one other thing that garners my support - it's the customer service. I go to Adley's for two reasons: First because someone recommended them years ago, and second, because they always treat me right. I've also had nothing but professional, courteous assistance from the town departments mentioned. I'm no one special here...no one owes me anything and I know that. I think it matters how I treat them too. We depend on one another - sometimes it's a matter of survival.

One good thing about most Mainers is that we are survivors. How else could we live here in the winter? I just read on the Wall Street Journal that some guy somewhere has decided not to buy his wife a Mercedes because they really "need to buckle down"...bummer. Picture him making it here in Maine. So, what do we really need?

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do we really need?

Post by Timeout on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:57 pm

Okay, still inventorying my personal shopping to see if I'm a typical consumer. One of my friends took me to a delicious lunch at Brian's Bistro on Friday, I made two more stops at the Dollar Tree and also got some great stuff at Marden's. Dead River at the bottom of Falls Hill has fabulous, warm sugar donuts and my new favorite stop is Mt. Valley Variety for way cheap gasoline. I did purchase coffee at McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts, Big Apple on Rt. 2, Dead River and Mt. Valley Variety...Dead River is the best with the most choices...I know because I drink a LOT of coffee. I have to laugh when I see this list because I realize I just may not be the typical Rumford shopper...anyone else want to say where they spend their cash?

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:12 pm

Zoom, zoom...................Timeout on the go........................ Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:56 pm

What do I need? The older I get, the more I need a well-tuned snowblower. With some good coffee to get myself tuned-up, I'm ready to go.

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Another trip to town...McDonald's for coffee, then Mt. Valley Variety to fill up the gas tank. More quality time with Adley's when my car wouldn't start after fueling. A nice gentleman tried to help jump the battery to no avail. Ken fixed the loose cable in two minutes...more coffee at Big Apple...life is good...I have everything I need (I repeat this several times over and over until I relax, then I drink more coffee).

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:49 pm

Many cars are having problems with the new ethanol fuel. Don't add dry gas, or the problem will be worse. Tow trucks are busy.

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:53 pm

I filled up for the first time with it this weekend- they were out of the regular so I got the premium for the same price. I've burned 1/2 the tank of it already. Seems my vehicle has a bit more pep...

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:57 pm

Just to clarify, mine wasn't a fuel problem, it just happened after I tried to turn the car back on after moving away from the pump to pay - it was a battery cable. Glad I wasn't actually stuck in front of the pump...lol...it might have caused a riot because people line up everywhere to get what is probably the lowest gasoline price in the state.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Why does dry gas have a bad effect on the fuel? (you guessed it...I'm not a mechanic or a chemist!)...but I do know where to attach the jumper cables.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:05 pm

Timeout wrote:Another trip to town...McDonald's for coffee, then Mt. Valley Variety to fill up the gas tank. More quality time with Adley's when my car wouldn't start after fueling. A nice gentleman tried to help jump the battery to no avail. Ken fixed the loose cable in two minutes...more coffee at Big Apple...life is good...I have everything I need (I repeat this several times over and over until I relax, then I drink more coffee).

You should see someone about your caffiene addiction Smile

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Addiction? what gorilla?!?

Okay for you scientists and people who just plain want to know...someone just told me that ethanol is a byproduct of alcohol but it doesn't "work" with it. The combination creates particles that block the fuel filter...cooh, huh? They also said it was more of a problem on small engines than on car engines...don't know if that's true or not.

So, back to snowblowers, I'm going to put about an ounce of dry gas in because I didn't drain the gasoline...shouldn't need any more for the rest of the winter.

For the record Kevin, I never mix alcohol (or ethanol) with my caffeine...wouldn't want any of my filters to be blocked. Smile

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:20 pm

Timeout wrote: For the record Kevin, I never mix alcohol (or ethanol) with my caffeine...wouldn't want any of my filters to be blocked. Smile

Well that's good because if you end up with a monkey on your back and an 800 lb gorilla in the room (not to mention the pink elephants), you will have to get a special permit from the state. Smile Dave McKenna might have some suggestions on how to run a zoo. Smile

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:57 pm

I was told that the dry gas causes the ethanol to separate from the gas (which it tends to do anyway after a relatively short period of time). And you're right about small engines; It is more of a problem with them. Supposedly if you add some StaBil to your gas can when you fill it, the gas will last a longer. From all I've heard, I do anticipate problems. This ethanol hasn't really been tested in the colder climates, where condensation is more likely to occur.
I hate winter. I hate the cold. I hate standing alone on a rooftop trying to clean off two feet of ice-crusted snow. I hate scaping ice off 300 feet of driveway. And I hate when my tears of overwhelming frustration freeze on my cheeks.
I DO love having a snowblower!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Oh good Bug, I thought I was the only one who cried while standing in the driveway watching the state plow go by after I've already cleared the end about 5 times. (I may have even thrown the shovel on the ground a few times.) I make it a personal policy never to stand on my roof while under duress.

More shopping news...just got back from buying community ski passes for kids at Sunday River...Kevin, now I'm suffering from cash withdrawals! Lol...as you would say, must.........have.........coffee........!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:06 pm

bug wrote:dry gas causes the ethanol to separate from the gas
Dry gas is ethanol (grain alcohol), methanol (wood alcohol), or sometimes isopropanol (rubbing alcohol).

Dry gas is alcohol which has an affinity for water. It combines with the water in your fuel tank preventing it (the water) from freezing and blocking your fuel lines. It allows the alcohol/water mixture to be burned, thereby removing it from the fuel tank. It has been added to gasoline (at low concentrations) for years.

Ethanol degrades rubber fuel system components at concentrations above 20%. The amounts added to gasoline (10%) will have minimal effect on fuel system components. Now that Maine is selling 10% ethanol gasoline, dry gas will no longer be necessary during the winter months.

T

Number of posts : 2242

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks for the info. So why is it bad to add dry gas? That's what I was told by a mechanic. He said it would cause more water in the system.

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:19 pm

bug wrote:Thanks for the info. So why is is bad to add dry gas? That's what I was told by a mechanic. He said it would cause more water in the system.
It's not bad, it's just a waste of money if your using 10 or 15% enthanol gasoline. Also, you don't want the ethanol concentration to rise above 20%.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:22 pm

BTW, small engine fuel lines seem to be more susceptible to degradation.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:28 am

So, what do I need today besides lots of coffee? I plan to take in the Christmas Fair at the high school and then head to Auburn for a more specialized fabric store. Marden's has wonderful, well-priced drapery, upholstery and quilting fabrics and Wal-Mart has a small bit of things but I need some nice wool, specialty dress fabrics and something "fun" to make a few Christmas presents for two teens. Next I'll try to find a linen store so I can touch all the soft bath towels - one of my favorite things to do. Let's see, RAAPA tonight and then sewing all day tomorrow...sounds delightful and exactly like what I really need!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:21 am

Not sure if this is the correct place but someone can move it if it's not.
http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=97040&catid=2

marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:42 pm

What do I really need today? Hot chocolate, a nap and someone to plow my driveway...I don't think the snowblower can take it. How is everyone else doing?

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Also, we need the Alert Now system SAD #43 has implemented. I got a nice "personal" wake-up call from Superintendent Hodgkins telling me that school was cancelled today and that I didn't have to wake up...lol...do you know how much time I spend trying to figure out whether the kids have school or not? Whoever thought of that...I love you!!!!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:56 pm

I need a ride to the hospital.....I think I broke my leg.

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Are you serious???

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:10 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:I need a ride to the hospital.....I think I broke my leg.
Seriously?

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next