Junk!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Junk!

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:57 pm

This morning's New York Times announced that our junk isn't going to be so valuable as recyclables any more. The photo showed a gentleman standing before a towering pile of junk. Here's how the story goes - Evidently China usually buys a lot of our junk in order to make more junk. With the recent economic developments they're not buying as much of our junk because they aren't selling as much of our junk back to us after they've disguised it as new junk.

Never one to sit around a brood about that which I can't change globally, I went upstairs to act locally on my own pile of junk. Since I was in the sewing mood, a beautiful black and white houndstooth check wool skirt my aunt gave me ten years ago is now stitched into a stylish jumper for my daughter. Remnant scraps of tapestry, zippers cut from old jeans and buttons snipped from discarded shirts are now beautiful little purses and cosmetic bags for the girls.

Recycling has always been fascinating to me since I was a kid and read about ecology and sculptures made from junk in our school's Weekly Reader. I tend to think of it more as making art, like the fabulous jewelry fashioned with colored wire scraps from my father's telephone company truck. The soft pastel braided rugs on the floors of our home were made of strips torn by my mother and I from worn out woolen Easter coats. I really don't know what I can do about all the junk that lounges in warehouses across America, awaiting a rebirth that may never come...I only know my sewing room is a little cleaner.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Junk!

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:04 pm

You may wonder what this has to do with anything but this inability to recycle our junk will sooner probably rather than later affect us right here in the River Valley.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:11 am

Sounds like an economic development opportunity Smile

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:56 am

Lol, Kevin- I was thinking the same thing then scrolled down and saw your post! Maybe we should start a innovative recycling ideas portion of this forum....

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top