Unions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unions

Post by C on Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:34 am

JSN writes on TRR an article that appears to be in support of the ACLU then states "The UNIONS suck!" I guess I'm not understanding her view. I'm curious if we are unwittingly letting our town become controlled by "union busters".

marktripp : so are you union busting?

Jennifer Stowell Norris : RPD, too

Jennifer Stowell Norris : exactly, what are your duties

marktripp : next years criteria for not having your budget lied about
is hopscoth

Jennifer Stowell Norris : we don't have the fires to justify it

Jennifer Stowell Norris : you will be on the chopping block

Z : like i said before...............

KevinNSaisi : If we become one regional department, it would be better,
right??

Jennifer Stowell Norris : the only way to get rid of the union

Jennifer Stowell Norris : unions are annoying

JSN has spoken against unions, directed at our local fire, police and teachers. Mr. Greaney stated that he would identify "eliminating teacher tenure" as a top priority to help control the cost of K-12 education in Maine.

The ACLU's stated mission is "to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States."[

from aflcio.org

Labor unions are made up of working people working together to solve problems, build stronger workplaces and give working families a real voice. Unions give workers a voice on the job about safety, security, pay, benefits—and about the best ways to get the work done. Union workers earn 30 percent more each week than nonunion workers and are much more likely to have health and pension benefits. Unions give working people a voice in government. They represent working families before lawmakers, and make sure politicians never forget that working families voted them into office.
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Unions

Post by 911Dispatcher on Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:31 am

United Paperworkers International strike, Rumford, 1980
Contributed by [url=http://www.mainememory.net/bin/SwishSearch?Keywords=%22Maine Historical Society%22]Maine Historical Society[/url]

Item 5862 enlarge zoom send e-card add to album share what you know

Description

July 29, 1980 at Rumford's Boise Cascade paper mill found union workers on strike.

Nine pickets were arrested as they attempted to block pulp and chip trucks delivering loads to the mill.

http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=5862

Most still remember these days
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:02 am

Unions are not bad. They serve a noble purpose in protecting workers from abusive employers. It is a shame that workers resort to unions so quickly. Many employers are good, decent people who treat employees fairly. When you have an amicable situation, the introduction of a union can cause an adversarial situation based upon the employer's perception of unions. Of course, once they are established, the actions of a union can either negate or feed an adverse perception.
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:14 pm

If we didn't have unions many of the larger companies would be taking benefits away from their employees in order to better line the pockets of their share holders.
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:26 pm

Tenure is designed to make a teaching career more attractive by providing job security; by protecting the teacher's position, tenure also tends to enforce academic freedom.

Many would cut costs by replacing older and better paid teachers for young, inexperienced teachers at a lesser wage. Tenure, like unions, stands in their way.
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Unions BAD! Jennifer GOOD! I always have a problem with people who see things so clearly in black and white.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Let's see. She's against unions. Let's compare that against the demographics of the River Valley.

NewPage - Union
Schools - Union
Fire - Union
Police - Union
Public Works - Union (?)
State entities in the area - Union

She's gonna be lonely in her opinions.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 pm

Yes Dave, Public Works is Union.
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:04 pm

Are any of the hospital workers with a union? I was trying to figure out all the potential unions... there is the IPUI Local 900, the IBEW Local 2144 (New Page), any local CMP/Energy East employees belong to Local 1837, it would be nice to compile a list.

If you look through the list on the AFL-CIO site there are many trades that operate in this area that could have union members. I wonder where these municipal "union busters" think this town would be if it weren't for the unions.
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Yes, let's let her continue to diss 90% of the community.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unions

Post by Phil Blampied on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:19 pm

I don't think any of the regal high AFL-CIO unions would be much interested in the unorganized sectors in Rumford. But 1099 would. The Teamsters might. The 1099 site: ufcw1099.org

Phil Blampied

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:27 pm

In another lifetime, I was involved with 1099. They were really great at helping organize, but fell short on providing any real help when things got tough. All their energy was up front in the beginning, but once they got established, just seemed content to keep on collecting their dues.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:42 pm

C, there is a nurses union. I am not sure if it is at the hospital in Rumford. I am pretty sure that it is at CMMC, which Rumford Hospital is affiliated with. Either way, there are unions for healthcare orviders.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Former union leader dies

By Tony Reaves, Staff Writer
Sunday, December 14, 2008

RUMFORD - A former union leader was killed by a falling tree Saturday morning while gathering wood on his lot.

Donald Barker, 66, was pinned against a standing tree while cutting down a large pine with a chain saw, said Sgt. James Bernard of the Rumford Police Department.

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 2529

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:22 am

Union giving out Christmas dinners to laid-off workers

By Eileen M. Adams , Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 17, 2008

RUMFORD - The families of more than 200 NewPage Corp. employees who were laid off last week are receiving Christmas dinners from the Local 900 paper union.

Union President Gary Hemingway said this is the first time the union has taken such an action.

"It's such a huge lay-off," he said Tuesday afternoon.

SJ Link

T

Number of posts : 2529

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unions - "To Be or Not To Be"

Post by public slave on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:56 am

In the listing above of all the unions in the Rumford area I did not see Med-Care listed. JSN seems to dislike them as well. Is this really a union issue or is she just against everything? Again all complaints with no solutions. You gotta love the people that don't have any feasible or reasonable ideas but are just convinced that the grass will be greener on the other side no matter what. I'm very concerned and I still hope the common citizen, which by the way JSN clearly does not represent, will stand up and speak up and stop the slaughtering of all of our good public servants.

public slave

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:58 pm

I'm curious as to how many people applied to be on the Med-Care board and on the planning board. If JSN was the only other applicant, I suppose that would explain why she has been appointed to so many committees.
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Great point, C. It's like the super type A girl, running for everything that comes down the pike so she can make valedictorian. Unfortunately, in this case we end up with a what appears to be a psycho.

She seems to have boundless energy in pursuing her own agendae, and the sad thing is that most people will just ignore it until it's too late.

Does Rumford want to continue to be "semi-represented" by people who are perceived as " whackos"?

On the other hand, why don't people like you, timeout, dr , mark and many others apply for these positions? Is it because you guys have no ego to advance?

Public service takes time and committment, but so does administering a website. Since you already do that so well, why not wet your feet and give it a shot?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23 pm

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/296490-3/RiverValley/Local_firefighters_contribute_to_laidoff_paper_mill_workers/
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top