Med-Care

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Med-Care

Post by T on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:50 pm

Jennifer Stowell-Norris, The Rumford Reporter Editor and non-member of any union, reports on Med-Care

"Bottomline: The Med-Care Board of Directors are moving forward with the 2.2 million dollar building plans and voted not to change the Inter-Local Agreement despite the promises they made to the Rumford Board of Selectmen before they signed the Inter-Local Agreement. When questioned by Norris regarding the original agreement, Pulsifer informed Norris that they made no such agreement with the Rumford Board of Selectmen."

"Jennifer Norris did not tape the meeting out of respect for the Med-Care Board members that evening but did inform them that they will be taped from now on because it is public information. Norris asked if they minded. They responded with "Well, we really don't have a choice, do we?" Norris replied and told them that they don't really have a choice but that she wanted to forewarn them out of respect."

[ therumfordreporter.com/2008/12/med-care-board-of-directors.html ]

T

Number of posts : 2451
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Med-Care

Post by Z on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:14 pm

Why does JSN pet Dr. Riel's name in red? And why does she embolden Dean Milligan's name? I see 14 other names there. Yet she tries, by graphics, to place the responsibility of the decisions of a group onto two people. She refuses to acknowledge that there is a board of more than those two individuals.

The taping of the meeting, or the decision not to, I am sure was born of the fact that she was not prepared to do so. She has absolutely NO respect for anyone.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Med-Care

Post by public slave on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Is anybody going to take the time to get the Med-Care version of this issue. These same people JSN especially have misled, misinformed, and directly lied on a consistent basis to all of us in the public about this issue since last year. We all deserve to have the truth not scare tactics. Med-Care and the employees that dedicate themselves to all of us deserve to have a new facility that is up to code and safe for them. They have more than saved all of us taxpayers lots of money over the past 20 years and they have earned this building. Please help me to call our selectmen and call our Med-Care rep and tell them we support this project. Everyone keeps talking about economic development but they continue to want to cut the fire departments, police, and ambulance. What type of businesses or omeowners want to move to an area that has no public safety infrastructure. Lets step up to the plate and become the vocal majority over these same select few that have been the loudest!!

public slave

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by public slave on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:59 pm

I hope the meetings are taped so those of us in the public will get the real story not the twisted JSN version.

public slave

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm

I find it interesting that JSN puts comments that Med-Care is not acting in the best interest of the taxpayers. Belanger and Diconzo both say that Med-Care is going back to the building again. Let's look at what has recently occurred at med-Care. The new building got shot down (which, by the way, would have been a building that the whole River Valley could have used). Med-Care has also had the building project on hold for several years. How often was that mentioned? It has been on hold waiting for regionalization of the fire departments. That has not happened yet.

Next, the building they are in now had to have mold removed. The mold levels were unsafe. The building does not meet fire codes. The building does not meet life safety codes. It really sounds like the Town of Rumford does not want to take care of its employees. Remember? The BOS keeps spouting that Med-Care works for them? Their solution? Move Med-Care from the unsfe building they are in now and put them in a different unsafe building. I don't see any progress in that move.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:16 pm

This is a relatively objective view I shared recently with Len:

Med Care Ambulance has served this area for a number of years. They began their operation with a couple of ambulances out of one of the houses across the street from NAPA. When their current location became available, they purchased and remodeled the facility without concern by the local citizens. Over the years, the service has grown to include six transporting ambulances. The station is staffed with two crews at night and three during the day. When an inter-facility transport is needed, they attempt to call in personnel to take the trip. There have been many times when all of the ambulances have been out on calls. The current facility holds four ambulances. The administrative duties have grown over the years, but the space to handle these tasks has not. With 24 hour coverage, there is a need to have sleeping quarters. The mixed crews have two large bedrooms and one tiny one. The living space is tight for three crews during the day, and barely sufficient at night. If call volume continuews to grow, the need for additional staffing and ambulances will exceed the capabilities of their current structure. On top of this, there have been mold and code problems that need to be addressed.

Over the decades there has been talk of a regional emergency services agency, but little has been done to make it happen.

When the Inter-local agreement came due, Rumford and Andover held out to the bitter end. They asked for a change in the interlocal agreement to require a vote of the people for large capital expenses. At the time the Med-Care board stated that they would be willing to consider such changes, which they did. At the time they included a proviso that the changes would need to be voted upon by the board. Upon consideration, the changes were rejected.

Rumford's statement was that they wanted to have Med-Care hold off on the building so that it could be included in a regional emergency services building. Rumford indicated that they were persuing a joint effort with area towns. They hired Mexico Fire Chief Gary Wentzell as Rumford Fire Chief in an effort to follow their dream. Unfortunately, Gary stated early that he didn't feel comfortable working on a joint department right away. He knew that he would be much too busy working to help the fire department find a workable structure after taking care of some issues that had been looming over the department.

It has been six months since Rumford's Town Meeting. Mr. Wentzell is still working to address issues in the department. It appears that as soon as he addresses one issue, three more arise. The Rumford Selectmen and Town Manager have not made significant strides in discussing a regional fire service with other towns, and Mexico is now discussing with Dixfield, but not Rumford, how they can merge their fire departments. I am sure that Med-Care, having seen the lack of progress toward a regional fire service, has opted to re-initiate their efforts toward a new building. With increasing calls and continues problems in their current building, who can blame them?

I still believe that Med-Care needs to bring their capital expenditures to the people. However, with the lack of action on the part of the town leadership, I would fully expect that the people would approve such a building if given a chance. Can we afford it? No, certainly not. But with a dwindling tax base and an aging population, there may be no better time to bite the bullet than right now. I just wish our town leaders had been more dedicated to the cause of regional cooperation.
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 am

Good piece Kevin. I had written something else here but afterwards decided to make a new thread about Regionalization. I don't want to take away from the original post on this thread.
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top