Feeling entitled

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Feeling entitled

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm

Timeout wrote:In case anyone thinks Len Greaney is a great guy doing the town a favor out of the goodness of his heart, he is earning $1,350 per week, sans benefits. More than Jim Doar received.

BTW: Nobody said he was doing it out of the goodness of his heart.
KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:28 pm

“The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of thinking with which we created them.”
Albert Einstein
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 pm

Which is why we need someone who knows what they're doing...lol
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 pm

Phil although I agree with you in part you are forgetting some major issues. I agree the hiring process needs to be looked at and although a person with a degree is valuable you can find someone with similar work, real life experiences and on job training that could fit the bill. However as far as the salary goes you also need to look at retention. Right now the state of Alaska is having a very difficult time finding and retaining State Troopers. Why? Mostly because the department does not pay well both salary and benefit wise. Many will start out training and working for the Alaska State Troopers only to do a lateral transfer to Anchorage Police Department whose pay and benefits are a far cry from the states. They also are not required to move every two years or live in the bush. When factoring everything in you are correct its not black and white you need to look at the whole scale of things. However I ask you this: who, educated or uneducated, would want to work for the town of Rumford when one: the salary and benefits are cut, two: the headache from working with others who are bull headed, three: the towns services are lacking (i.e fire, police, schools), and finally they can find better in other towns throughout Maine? Its a total package and if you want quality you need to produce quality. Kind of along the lines of you can't make money without spending money, you can't get the Bee without the honey....theres a million of these sayings.
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:39 pm

So what does anyone suggest? Continue to pay Greaney $70,000 and "apprentice" him into the job? Hire someone with tm experience?

My thought is this...one needs either tm experience or at least education in the profession.

At the risk of totally inciting a riot, I would contend that John Madigan tried it here, left, got his experience and came back to do a fine job for Mexico.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Timeout,
I need to get to sleep, but I will answer one last post.

1. I believe that Mr. Blampied was suggesting that a person with proper education, but not as much experience, apprentice under Mr. Greaney to learn how Rumford operates.

2. Rumford does not need a part time manager. Having been on the Board of Selectmen when Mr. Madigan left, I can tell you that it would be a tough sell to get him to return. There is a tumultuous
(function(){
var a=document.styleSheets[0],b=a.rules,c=document.getElementById("mbEnd"),d,e=0;a.addRule(".s","width:auto");d=b[b.length-1].style;function f(){d.width=document.body.clientWidth-(c?c.offsetWidth:0)100){f();e=g}});f();
})()

history and too much of a chance that certain people could return to power. Mr. Madigan is a valuable asset in Mexico and we need stability across the river.

3. Good Night
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:08 pm

[quote="KevinNSaisi"]Timeout,
I need to get to sleep, but I will answer one last post.
1. I believe that Mr. Blampied was suggesting that a person with proper education, but not as much experience, apprentice under Mr. Greaney to learn how Rumford operates. I didn't get that from his post, so okay.
2. Rumford does not need a part time manager. Having been on the Board of Selectmen when Mr. Madigan left, I can tell you that it would be a tough sell to get him to return. There is a tumultuous history and too much of a chance that certain people could return to power. Mr. Madigan is a valuable asset in Mexico and we need stability across the river. I didn't say we should have Madigan, it was an example of someone who went and got experience.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 pm

So you guys are saying that any boss in the mill who has x years of experience are qualified to become our town manager??
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Mr. Greaney's wages are pretty good for no town managerial experience. Eldridge is only making 80k a year....
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm

Another thing, explain why would we want someone to apprentice under our interim town manager.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:38 am

C wrote:So you guys are saying that any boss in the mill who has x years of experience are qualified to become our town manager??

My point was that x years (decades) of management experience is preferable to two years of intern experience.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 am

Timeout wrote:Another thing, explain why would we want someone to apprentice under our interim town manager.
Despite title, it would be preferable for any new town manager from outside of the area to have the support and guidance of the person currently holding the position.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:31 am

Well I can only imagine one person who's ready and willing to jump into the position. Then she can fire everybody (except her two body guards/spies) and build her own queendom.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:21 am

It would be nice if any new town manager could get the support of the preceding town manager. In a perfect world it might work that way. Unfortunately we don't have those kind of good relations with our former town managers. It has been mentioned many times about how people wouldn't want Madigan. It also appears to have made many uncomfortable for Mr. Doar to seek input from Mr. Eldridge. I wouldn't be comfortable with Greaney officially "apprenticing" a new person. That informal apprenticeship comes from the selectmen, the town department managers, town employees, etc., and perhaps very informally the previous town manager. You can say whatever you want, it's not about liking or disliking the man. It's about performance. Obviously others will have a different point of view and think Mr. Greaney is doing a great job. Perhaps I am too blunt in my observations and it is perceived as hatred. Hate is a strong word...I think Mr. Greaney has many good qualities and certainly does not deserve hatred of any kind. I would say I don't have a lot of confidence in him. I don't care what anyone says...and I know many say differently. You have to be have a high degree of integrity to do this job well. Honesty is essential to that. You have to be willing to be unpopular and you have to know who it is you serve. Everyone wants to be the boss here. It doesn't work that way.

Last edited by Timeout on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added informal apprenticeship from previous tm)
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:39 am

Timeout wrote:You have to be have a high degree of integrity to do this job well. Honesty is essential to that. You have to be willing to be unpopular and you have to know who it is you serve. Everyone wants to be the boss here. It doesn't work that way.

Words are interesting windows into the mind. What one perceives as positive, another sees as deceitful and under-handed. I see statements such as the above quote to mean "You have to be willing to do what I think is right regardless of what others say. You have to know that I am the boss, and nobody else". Mr. Greaney has done well considering his lack of municipal leadership experience and training. Yes, he has made a few mistakes, but what human doesn't? I have not seen him be dishonest to me. I have seen him listen to what I say and then do what he felt was in the best interest of the town, but that is not being dishonest. There are some in the community who would like to have everything done exactly as they see fit. Those who do otherwise are castigated and made out to be evil. Municipal management is a thankless task. 90% of the time at least 30% of the people think you are doing wrong. The key is to follow the rules and do what is in the overall best interest of the community. I feel that Len has done that.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:41 am

C wrote:Mr. Greaney's wages are pretty good for no town managerial experience. Eldridge is only making 80k a year....

Mr. Doar made out fairly well for someone who had neither managerial experience nor municipal experience. What is your point? Are you saying that these men should have been paid minimum wage??
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:51 pm

It has been mentioned many times about how people wouldn't want Madigan.

This is an interesting statement. It is accurate. I just wonder why people wouldn't want Mr. Madigan as town manager. Isn't Mexico in the black right now? And to get that way, didn't Mexico exceed the almighty tax cap? With the support of the taxpayers? That seems like good leadership right there. Mr. Madigan showed the town that exceeding the cap when necessary would, in the long run, benefit the town. That is vision. Rumford's Board of Selectmen are so afraid of exceeding the cap, albeit for the good of the town, they would rather cut services. How is that a benefit to the town?

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:21 pm

Z, I wish the board had supported Doar's sound recommendation for the taxpayers to exceed the tax cap at least for the amount of the bond to cover the repairs to the town building.

Unlike many other communities Rumford does not vote to exceed the tax cap. Therefore, there is no accommodation for the bond debt. Recent modifications to town building to bring it up to safety codes and make it more energy effecient, which now allows more citizens to attend functions and save money, thus becomes detrimental to the town budget and results in a cut to services and the overall town budget.

It's not a matter of looking to exceed the tax cap for fluff, it's to stay even and to pay our obligation on the bond that we voted for.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:24 pm

I think we will look back on this period at some point in the future and see that we were penny-wise and pound foolish, over and over.
Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:02 pm

Exactly my point, Timeout. Needs must be met. Penny-wise and pound foolish is a great way to put it.

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:28 pm

So, the walking path by the library... what need does that fill?? I believe that was just a big waste of money at a time when it could have been used much more wisely. The fact that we have a walking path is not going to draw in a large employer. It just doesn't work that way. Anyone with any sense knows that you need to fix what you have first. The sidewalks downtown are diusgraceful, but rather than fix them, the powers that be (not the current board) chose to spend the money for the pathway to nowhere, and make it inaccessible to our citizens with certain disabilities.

The entire budget and planning process needs an overhaul. Each department needs to assess their needs vs wants. With a dwindling tax base, we cannot be wasting money.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 pm

Kevin,
Didn't Mark B. support that path? If i recall he did.
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:07 pm

I don't know, but I do know it cannot be blamed on the current or most recent past board, whom people here like to blame for everything but the weather.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm

I'm not trying to place blame but I do believe he was a supporter of it.
marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm

That's his choice. I disagree with his choice, but I won't hold it against him. He was in the position to make the decision, and he made it. If he continues to make decisions that I don't support, I have the right to vote against him when he is due for re-election.
KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top