Feeling entitled

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Feeling entitled

Post by Dave on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Kevin - compared to other places, for example Lewiston-Auburn, Portland, etc., your taxes are low. You don't know how good you've got it!

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:00 pm

I understand that, but over the next few years it will be skyrocketing. We have neglected our roads and buildings way too long and there is no plan for spending. Also, the multi-million dollar mill tax base is going to be dropping to just over a million dollars in the next few years. The combination of the two is going to cause a massive increase.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainiac1 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Two opportunities I believe we (Rumford) failed to capitalize on was the opportunity to retain World Wide Languages, that wanted to stay and would have created many jobs, and also making it almost impossible for Lem Cissel to continue with persuing a housing development near Black Mountain. These may seem like small losses to some, but over time and together help offset future industrial cutbacks that will ocurr at the mill.

Mainiac1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:16 am

I agree that we should have never lost WWLS. However, I cannot agree with your assessment on the Lem Cissel project. Mr. Cissel was under capitalized and expected the town to pick up the tab without any guarantee of return on investment. I am all for working with those attempting to invest in our community, but we have to be careful not to end up with another Muskie Building scheme.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainiac1 on Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:21 am

Mr. Cissel's intention was to sell the rights to build the project after receiving the permits and permissions to do so. I'm quite certain he did not expect the town to pick up the complete tab for the project. But that is all past tense and possible squandered opportunities. What Rumford needs is to not discard future chances because projects are not in the best interest of a few.

Mainiac1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:20 am

Again, as long as they are careful. We don't need to be funding private projects with town money (Muskie Building)

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top