Selectboard Meeting- (1-19-09 video now available)

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Selectboard Meeting- (1-19-09 video now available)

Post by C on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 am

Also it bothered me that the TM and the chairman of the board seemed to have (before the meeting) decided that they would skip that item.

1) why didn't the TM or the chairman tell all those people waiting (nearly 2 hours) at the beginning of the meeting that there was a change of agenda?

2) Why didn't they officially vote to table the item and allow the other 4 selectmen to vote on doing so? Where they afraid that they would be outvoted and all those people would be allowed to speak?

3) The TM and chairman said they needed more information, there were people there to offer information, they were shut down.

What kind of message is that sending to the citizens?

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Phil Blampied on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:33 am

Mainiac1 wrote:The outburst of that nature against any citizen by Mr.Boivin, would be totally unacceptable anywhere but in Rumford. It is unbelievable that no person in that room spoke up against his ignorant reactions to a person standing at the podium waiting patiently to voice an opinion on an issue. Although this is not the first time, it clearly is a continuing characteristic of some in Rumford government, and is the real reason why outside people and communities do not want anything to do with us. As long as we have these types of people in leadership roles, we will not be successful. Not one selectmen or person in that room said a word. Would you do business with that? Would you want your children to attend his schools? Would you trust where your money is going? Don't YOU understand english?? Wake up!

If those on this forum are so concerned with the public relations impact of Arthur's statements, then why publicize the situation on Youtube?

Arthur was speaking to Judy O'Neil, who got up to speak after the matter at hand had already gone by, so there was a technical reason for his refusing to let her speak. On the other hand, the selectmen often let people blather on (pardon my bias) at extreme length, very repetitiously, on some subjects. It was an unfortunate set-to, badly handled, but not an example of "why outside people and communities do not want anything to do with us." Speak up? It would have only created a lengthy confrontation, more fodder for this forum. I would say that Mainiac's post is a better example of "why outside people and communities do not want anything to do with us," if in fact that's true anyway.

Phil Blampied

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 am

Phil, it's okay to post your thoughts here but I would ask you to post correct information.

The item was not tabled. There were no technical reasons. The speaker was already at the podium when the Chairman moved on to the next item. You can verify this with the town manager or obtain a copy of either the video or the audio tape for yourself.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by who? on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 am

Phil,

You where obviously at a different meeting than everyone else! This situation was not tabled (no vote) and she was patiently waiting at the microphone. When she got up to speak Mr. Boivin saw that and immediately looked down at the table for the rest of the conversation and never looked up until they were on the next item. There were multiple people there to speak on this issue and they knew that but didnít want that to happen. Oh by the way this is one of many reasons why other towns want nothing to do with Rumford Government. Phil, take your head out of the sand or wherever else you may have it!

who?

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:03 pm

C wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKzTGqJM_No

Why didn't you include the part just before, so that we can see what lead up to the incident?

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Kevin- I had to break it into 4 parts, I only loaded part 4 as that was the worst behavior. Uploading the other 3 parts most certainly won't do a thing to help the standpoint of Mr. Boivin. It will likely worsen it and show the procedural issues I stated above. You were in attendance at the meeting but I can certainly upload the rest if you have a clouded recollection of the events leading up to this.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:23 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:

Why didn't you include the part just before, so that we can see what lead up to the incident?
When I read down through the posts on this, I had to agree with Kevin. I could only imagine that someone would have been behaving pretty badly at this meeting to have Mr. Boivin's speak to them this way.

C says that isn't so. Can you upload the other part of the videos so we can see for ourselves?

Thanks C

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Phil Blampied wrote:If those on this forum are so concerned with the public relations impact of Arthur's statements, then why publicize the situation on Youtube?.
Is the problem that people called attention to it or is the problem that our elected officials treat the residents of this community in a bullying and humiliating manner?

Phil Blampied wrote:Arthur was speaking to Judy O'Neil, who got up to speak after the matter at hand had already gone by, so there was a technical reason for his refusing to let her speak.
Are you trying to justify this behavior? Is there a "technical reason" for him to be rude to her?

I didn't go to the meeting Phil so maybe there was. Was there a legitimate reason for him to behave this way?

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:56 pm

They ask why we dont have drug testing, after reading and watching the rude outburst I think its time to test them all... No matter it was rude and it seems that they hate a woman viewing their points in public. Its time for change.....

Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:04 pm

They're big files so are slow- I'll post the links as they are up.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks!

Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:27 pm

Does anyone know how many people were actually waiting to hear about or speak regarding item G?

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by who? on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:38 pm

C,
From what I understand is their where 7 people that where going to speak about this item, and actually the Chief himself was going discuss it. I feel one of the reasons it was rushed along is they didnít have the foot stomping, point of order hollering clown to fight the figures. There were many people there to hear the topic as well, who waited for over 2 hours.

who?

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:50 pm

C, when I left after that item, I was aware of 9 others who left at the same time. I can't tell you whether they were there to speak or not. I do know that two other people who tentatively planned to speak left earlier due to the length of the meeting. It was placed on the agenda as a fairly broad topic so you may have had people there who simply wanted to hear the discourse. People were fairly quiet on the way out...they may have been trying to process what just happened...or they may have been thinking about going to bed...lol

I did speak to Len about the idea 911 posted in an earlier blog saying if they know items were to be tabled, they could give the assembly the courtesy of a heads up. Mr. Greaney said he had talked to the reporter about it beforehand, which is probably why the man left before that item, but hadn't thought to inform the assembly. He thought it would be a good idea and that he would bring it up with the selectmen as a consideration for future meetings.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Can we also address the language used? " DO YOU SPEAK ENGLISH" .... gee i wonder if anyone ever yelled at his franco-american grandparents in that fashion.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:06 pm

A reporter from where? Could that be why they decided to skip the item that night? They had the courtesy to send the reporter home but not all the people supporting that item??

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Rumford Charter (top secret revised version) says: "It is well within the rights of the Chairman to clarify the linquistic origins of the speaker when seeking to maintain decorum in the meeting." I believe there is also a strange quirk of human nature that may cause a non-english speaking person to be addressed in a louder voice, as though volume might somehow transcend the language barrier. Not sure if this applies here...lol

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Perhaps the board could use instruction on meeting process.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:45 pm

or perhaps in some simple civility

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:53 pm

First off, the item was listed on the agenda. If the agenda had a change, I think it should have been announced before the meeting (town web site) and again at the beginning of the meeting.

I also think that our town officials should be held to a high standard civility. Any speaker, regardless of whether he/she is "out of order", is entitled to be treated with courtesy, respect and good old-fashioned politeness. I think that Mr. Boivin's behavior was shameful.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:58 pm

"do you speak POLITELY????"

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Can you imagine if we all ran around speaking "Boivinish"?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:01 pm

SIT DOWN! SHUT UP! Get OUTTA MY WAY! MOVE THAT WHEELCHAIR!

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mainiac1 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:32 pm

I find it hard to believe that there are questions and reasons as to why a board chairman and leader of the community might act in this type of manner to any individual simply standing at the podium. What if local students had been in attendance? What if a potential business person were in the audience? What positives can possibly come out of this kind of ongoing behavior illustrated by selectmen? There is no accountability for this and it is rediculous. He should be made to step down from his position until he can learn how to communicate in a civil manner. But he won't and nothing will happen. If he had spoken like that to my wife or daughter, he would have gone down right there or as soon as we met. No excuses for that typical Boivin behavior. I'm not as smart as you so I'll scream at you and scare you down. How rediculous!

Mainiac1

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-12-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:41 pm

we all have egos, and maybe being " chair" can go to your head in the wrong way. Obviously, the behaviour of this guy is outrageous and somebody shoulda slapped him down for it. The fact that no one did is even MORE outrageous.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top