Reminder

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reminder

Post by C on Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Okay guys- I need to remind you that some posts are in the main forum are VERY irrelevant to
the original posted subject. The majority of our members don't care to
scroll through post after post of foolishness. Please take the time to
consider if your posts are adding anything constructive to the
"conversation". Most of you by now know how to use the private
messaging feature. We also have the chat feature on the home page or if
you must, please start a new thread to poke at each other so that those
who want to read and comment on the subject don't have to deal with
sifting through irrelevant posts. I'm referring to the main forum with this reminder, the Accountability forum and also the "Lounge" aren't any worry. I'd just like to think on the main forum people can post and discuss subjects without the threads being hi-jacked.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reminder

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:41 am

I am sorry for answering a question, I will never do so again. Rolling Eyes

I am just concerned that I seem to be the one on the whipping post even though I did not initiate the off topic discussion. Truth be told, I hang out on the Portal page where there is no indicator as to which forum the discussion initiates. I saw a question directed towards me and I answered it. Yes, I responded to numerous ascertions in an effort to defend my point, but that should not be a crime. The problem I had was that my opponent was determined to hold tight to one point (the math makes sense) without accepting the human factor, and eventually declared themself the winner of the discussion when I acknowledged that the math made sense. This told me that their only goal was to be right, and nothing I said would make a difference.

I received a PM from C stating that I had posted too much and it was quite clear that I was being blamed for 'all the frivolous na na na na na and "you're it" "no I'm not" B.S.' and the the "high school type postings". I pointed out that the most of my posts were on the topic on which I had been questioned. I have seen much more childish (and vindictive, hateful personal attacks) statements made in posts. I had no idea that a jovial comment was a violation of C's sensibilities (because it obviously was not a violation of the rules, if they exist). Talk about needing a rulebook Rolling Eyes !!!

Since it is obvious that the admin here is heading the way of the TRR editorial board Rolling Eyes , I guess I will have to consider carefully before I comment on any further discussions. Hey, I wonder if they have "banned" souveniers here too!!! Smile Smile

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 am

"The problem I had was that my opponent........" KNS

Opponent? Xmashen stated that he/she was directing the question to you (specifically) because he/she felt that you were probably the most knowledgeable. It didn't appear to me that there was any "battle". I think your use of the word opponent here is an indication of a defensive attitude.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:25 am

In any debate there are two sides. My answering the question developed into a discussion in which two distict opposing views were being discussed (a debate).

Here again, I am needing to defend my use of a word because somebody chose to pick apart what I say. Why do I even bother? Rolling Eyes

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:45 am

"Why do I even bother?"

Because like some of us, you can't help yourself? Very Happy

And I apologize for my comment: You used "opponent" in context of "debate". I guess I missed the debate aspect. I'm sorry.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:59 am

That is one of the things that drew me to the forum. On the header it states that the site is DEDICATED to responsible free speech and open debate. I just wish there was a little more dedication.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:06 am

KevinNSaisi wrote:That is one of the things that drew me to the forum. On the header it states that the site is DEDICATED to responsible free speech and open debate. I just wish there was a little more dedication.
Hi Kevin,

Sounds like you got your feathers ruffled a bit. Try to relax. It was just a friendly reminder, not an act of censorship.

Have you had any of your posts deleted or changed? We have had to do that sometimes here but not very often. I don't believe you have ever had that done. You have been able to say whatever is on your mind.

I know your avatar got some much needed first aid but honestly, it was offensive to look at.

Finding the balance between free speech and moderation has been a big challenge since we opened the site. We do the best we can. We are bound to have some people upset sometimes but the alternative is to allow complete open debate like the "Open Doar" did. I don't think many of us want that.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 am

applause

Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:23 pm

It just isn't worth it anymore. You guys have to always win everything, or the other person is either overreacting, just being negative, or psychotic. I don't operate in that manner.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:30 pm

bounce

Vigs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:12 pm

I originally posted the first message of this thread under "Regionalization - What's holding it up?" but later moved it so as not to kill that particular thread. There were some concerns brought to my attention that that subject was promoting some much needed discussion and worthwhile input from people that seldom post only to later have it "hi jacked" by foolishness. After my post there, Kevin felt the need to post yet another inane comment on that same thread, which was deleted (along with a response to Kevin's by xmashen) and I sent him a pm., (and one to xmashen which was pleasantly acknowledged) seeing that Kevin wants to highlight parts of the conversation I will post the entire "conversation".

From C To KevinNSaisi, Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:55 pm Was that last post a sign that you just don't get it?

KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:59 pm
If you look xmashen posted one last time too. I call it closure. Smile

From C To KevinNSaisi, Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:06 pm
I deleted both and warned you both- I often don't have much time when
catching up on a days worth of postings. It really annoys me to have to
scroll through loads of nonsense. I'm sure it deters others from even
bothering. Do you realize that you have posted more today than more
than half of our contributing members have ever posted? I'm just asking
that you think twice about the content before you post. I'd hate to
have to limit the amount of posts per person per day. dunno

KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 pm
Hmmm, So now I have to shut up? With this latest post I can only presume that you are Jennifer. Smile

I was answering questions and discussion topics. How can you even
threaten to limit me knowing all of the personal attacks you let go by
on a daily basis? I thought this forum was not going to permit
"building anti-social capital", but I guess that policy has changed
too. I only question if you would be limiting me if you agreed with nmy
views.

C Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:19 pm
Are you being difficult on purpose? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with
any opinion you are posting. I'm simply trying to do away with all the
frivolous na na na na na and "you're it" "no I'm not" B.S., if I limit
peoples posts to let's say 20 a day, they (you) might be more
discerning of the content. But, maybe not.... I'm trying to keep this
forum running smoothly and enjoyably for all. The really frustrating
part is that I shouldn't have to be explaining myself to you. I've
simply and nicely asked you to refrain from the high school type
postings. Please use the chat or pm for that purpose. I only brought
this forth because this particular thread was headed in a good
direction with people who hadn't previously posted finally
contributing. To turn this around I could say that you are working for
Jennifer to screw up productive discussion.

KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:31 pm

I have NOTHING to do with JSN.

Most of my posts on that thread were attempting to discuss my position. I
admit that we had some fun, but all work and no play make Jack a dull
boy. It is obvious by xmashen's later post that he/she was not going to
be happy until he/she was proved right. That is not MY fault. I really
don't want to go on in nonsensical discussions with people toying with
me or feeding their ego by proving people wrong. I don't need to be
getting harassed by you for having the patience to deal with such a
person.

C Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:52 pm
I am not harassing you. Intentionally anyhow. I'm simply asking that you
try to respect other people's initiated posts by either sticking to the
topic or starting another thread. When other people do it, I ask them
to do the same. Explaining your position is fine, especially if it
relates to the topic. As top poster on this site, I'm hoping you can
help to set an example. I was going to try to split the topic in
question but it would have been a lot of work for me and some responses
would have been hard to place. You posting your weather forecast in
it's own thread rather than injecting it into an irrelevant topic was a
perfect example of how I'd like things to work here. I don't worry
about the "clutter" too much under the Accountability sub-forum, or at
all in the lounge, but I'd like to see the main forum be a place that
encourages people to post their town concerns, ideas and responses
without the threads being undermined.

KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:03 pm

I know it is a lot of reading, but I did not initiate the topic. I was
asked a question. I did, however, attempt twice to link the topic to
the initial thread, without success.

I get asked many times for a rulebook for posting, however, perhaps your rules need to be clarified.

I would think that Xmashen is getting the same chewing-out, but I would put money that it is not happening.

C Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:05 pm
Lol, I just told him him/her thirty lashes were done with and he/she could go back to class. He/she was quite agreeable...

KevinNSaisi Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:07 pmAh, those who bow to you get off easy, while those of us who question you get abu ghraib treatment. I see.

Last edited by C on Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Didn't realize he had sent one more message to get the last word in....I added it.)

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:13 pm

First of all, my apologies to anyone who got distracted or frustrated by the way the thread turned.

Like Kevin, and probably many others, I also monitor from the portal and tend to respond to the most recent posts, regardless of the original subject.

I did sincerely ask a question of someone whose knowledge of rules and process I respect. (whether a 7 member board is still a possibility) .

I was not trying to be his “ opponent” in any debate and my comments later in the thread were mostly in jest (I know… hard to tell sometimes).

I still respect Kevin’s opinions, even when we don’t agree.

In retrospect, the thread continued with us going back and forth with little snipes. As C pointed out, we really should have just shut up or taken it to the chat, but you know, it’s not always easy to recognize the time when that should happen (So many times in my life was I having a conversation that got heated that I only later realized should have been taken out of the general public conversation and into a more private one).

I am not averse to being told to simply “ shut the hell up!” . Please feel free to do that in the future. I promise I won’t get too mad.

I do especially feel bad if our conversation intimidated/annoyed/bored any new posters.

C was not out of line in correcting us. But please, C, recognize that it’s sometimes easy to simply respond to the most recent comment , even if it is far from the subject of the original post subject. That’s sorta the way conversations work.

Oh, and I still think that 7 is better than 5!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Wow and double cheers wow

Vigs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:40 pm

You needn't apologize xmashen- I tried to post a friendly (but firm) reminder, you were very gracious and apologetic. Kevin took it personally and rather blew it out of proportion. It really wasn't the selectmen question that took things way off course as that was related to the conversation. It was when Kevin jumped on his soapbox on page 6 that things seemed to stray. You and Kevin just happened to be the offenders at the time I posted but many of us have been guilty of leading subjects off course.

I'm not asking you guys to not converse and respond accordingly- I'm just hoping that when things start to get off course that those who recognize it or those people involved try to either A) start a new thread B) take it to the chatbox C) take it up under Accountability D) Take it to the Lounge E) pm each other.

There are lots of options available to preserve the integrity of the discussion of town issues in the main forum. I'm just asking for a bit of help. dunno

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:21 pm

C wrote: It was when Kevin jumped on his soapbox on page 6 that things seemed to stray.

Oh, so now I am the bad guy for responding to FireDawg314's improper complaint? If FD314 hadcomplained in a PM, I would have responded in a PM. I am not going to be spanked in public and just let it go. If you notice, the conversation did deteriorate from there, but I tried three times to bring it back. I actually made efforts to link the off-topic 5/7 discussion to regional planning. This proves yet again that there are people out there who always have to be right, no matter what. If I wanted to have discussions such as that I know where to find them.

KevinNSaisi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:36 pm

bad boy bad boy what you going to do bad boy bad boy, Hey Kevin I guess someone people cant take the facts to truth and being explain like you do. I say keep the truth and facts coming....

Vigs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:30 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top