take a guess. it's hardly likely that he was slapping her wrists

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DiConzo warns town employees

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm

but there is also the issue of a selectman using their microphone as a bully pulpit. We don't need to be sermonized to.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 pm

oh, and is JSN considered a "town employee"? I know her multi positions are currently unpaid (but not for long if she gets her way). Is she considered free to post her attacks on anyone who doesn't fit her palinish agenda? obviously so, as far as mr. diconzo thinks.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:04 pm

maybe it's just me that is feeling all ticked off (for the inability to use a saltier phrase), but it looks like people are afraid to post anything for fear of being seen as "negative". ok. i will shut up now.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:10 pm

Wait, I think DiConzo is a democrat???
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:20 pm

I noticed that the SunJournal blog on this article has been removed. It must have gotten a little heated...

T

Number of posts : 2328
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Phil Blampied wrote:If volunteer committee members are required to pee in a bottle in Rumford, I will immediately cease contributing any time or effort to the town except to overturn the policy and remove the officials who put it in place.
applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause

BTW Mr. Blampied, I understand your position regarding drug testing and completely agree.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:33 pm

If someone wants me to pee in a bottle, I don't mind. I was just going to flush it down the toilet anyway. If they can find something better to do with it, more power to them. I have been filling little bottles for alot of years driving trucks. I have even given alot to Uncle Sam. The way I see it, it is just confirmation that I am clean. Stay away from the funny stuff and you will have no worries. If it comes down to it, and you do have to pee in a bottle, let me know. I am willing to sell some clean pee. lol!

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Let me guess you guys are against so called 'nurse laws' too?
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:43 pm

Timeout wrote:I see they pulled the comment section on the SJ...it was really nasty.

I just noticed your post, Timeout.

Sorry for the duplication.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

What are "nurse laws"?

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:00 pm

seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, car insurance laws....things that help look out for the welfare of the people, but some consider it government putting their noses where it does not belong. I agree with you Z, if you lead a clean life why worry? I would assume that they possibly are also for legalizing marijuana....but lets not get started on that.
911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:21 pm

I think Frank was probably referring to this forum, although he should have been referring to TRR. As has been clearly pointed out on here, TRR has made up lies, posted fictitious letters to the editor, misrepresented facts and figures and done whatever else they can think of to malign our town personnel. Why isn't Frank and out Town Manager upset about that? (Maybe they are???)

He was warning town employees not to post and since most of them would never be allowed to express their views on TRR, it makes me think he was talking about us.

The stuff on this forum isnít much different than the talk that goes around town. The main difference is itís out in the open for all the world to see. The other main difference is, if itís inaccurate, anyone can come on here and correct it. Frank could even come on here and let us know whatís going on. What an opportunity for him to communicate to people.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 pm

Why is Mr. DiConzo allowed to pontificate on such random items? Few councils offer a "monologue" to it's members. If he wants to talk about blogs, it should be on the agenda. Furthermore, the only thing that the council should discuss is employee comments in public forums. I would tend to agree that it approaches insubordination if a town employee publicly flames his supervisor on a public forum.

But for him to pontificate about proper behavior on blogs by citizens - go take a hike Frankie Boy.

Drug testing should only be performed as required by fed/state statutes. The idea of testing volunteer committee members is ludicrous, imho. Like Phil, I'd quit or not volunteer just because of the obnoxiousness of the idea. Furthermore, testing is inherently unfair anyways. Alcohol tends to be a greater problem than other drugs. Does a drug test catch a hungover plow driver? Probably not, but it would catch one that smoked a doobie a few weeks ago. I'd rather have the latter person driving the truck than the former.

The general populace is becoming too lethargic in fighting invasions of privacy. Between drug testing, the Patriot Act, and nannyism on health habits, the world of George Orwell is arriving, albeit 28 years delayed.

Last edited by Dave on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:24 pm

"In other business, the people of Rumford asked Selectman Frank DiConzo to refrain from making negative comments about Rumford citizens, selectmen and town officials in town meetings and to stop talking about things he knows nothing about."

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

Thank you, 911.

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 pm

by the way, am i the only one getting nasty private emails from Jason Thompson?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

911's take on government power

Post by Phil Blampied on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:32 pm

You mention a list of nanny-state laws, some of which I think are problematical and some are not, but more to the point, you say: "If you lead a clean life, why worry?"

Let's look at that.

If you aren't a criminal, then why worry whether there are any rights given to criminals in the justice system?

Why bother with search warrants? You have nothing to hide, let them break down your door and check if they want.

Cameras on every corner? You're not doing anything wrong, let them film your every waking moment and put it in a file if they want to.

Concentration camps for terrorists? You 're not a terrorist. Why should you care if the government sets up a concentration camp?

This kind of thinking is what leads a society into authoritarianism, whether with a dictator or with a semblance of majority rule, as in, say, Iran. It seems to be what's in store for this country if something doesn't change.

Underlying it is the idea that government coercion of individuals is always benign and effective.

In other words, any social problem can be solved by increasing the government's power to control individuals.

Why is that wrong?
1) government is often clumsy and incompetent
2) the arrogance of people in government (and anywhere) increases proportionately to how much power you give them
3) the law of unintended consequences as illustrated by the way Prohibition ended the use of alcohol in the United States
4) the snowball effect, that taking a little freedom away from people makes it easier to take a little more
5) You only think you're guaranteed not to be a target of government power because you are "clean-living". It only takes a misstep, perhaps unintentional, to stumble into the crosshairs.

Phil Blampied

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-08-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Hey Phil,

Iím a little late getting on here but I thought your post was awesome. There isnít just one way to look at things. Your point, articulately made, is that there needs to be a balance between protecting society and turning our society into a police state.

The rub for people is that is they dare say they think itís wrong to drug test everyone, people automatically think you have something to hide. Thatís wrong in my opinion. Some people will still stick up for their civil rights.

Like most things, an ounce of common sense here goes a long way. If a town employees drives heavy equipment, could put life and limb in danger and give reason to need testing, then test them. I see little need to test everyone.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:24 pm

Woah Phil....you took a pretty broad statement and ran with it. You are going on one extreme and thinking I am going on the other side. I'm one for meeting in the middle (just a clarification). I was asking about you being against nurse/nanny laws because many who believe in no drug testing are known as constitutionalist, and although I see their point on some issues many, speaking from experience, are nuts. (not that I'm saying you're nuts)
911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:59 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:seat belt laws, motorcycle helmet laws, car insurance laws....things that help look out for the welfare of the people, but some consider it government putting their noses where it does not belong. I agree with you Z, if you lead a clean life why worry? I would assume that they possibly are also for legalizing marijuana....but lets not get started on that.

Be careful...you know what happens when you assume. Very Happy

BTW..."nurse laws" are in no way the same as drug testing.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 am

"If you lead a clean life, why worry?"

Because I have a right to privacy...or at least I use to.

What ever happened to "probable cause"? If there is absolutely no evidence that I have, am, or will be using drugs, illegal or otherwise, why should I be subjected to a test?

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top