Anyone read Len Greaney’s LTE in the RFT’s?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone read Len Greaney’s LTE in the RFT’s?

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:19 pm

Len was a MEMBER OF THE TRR forum??? No wonder he sounds just like them sometimes. That blog has been one of the most destructive forces in the River Valley in some time and he joined with them! Yikes

To his credit, he did resign because they spread misinformation. Just the fact that he was a member of the forum is troubling to me though.

He also says the RVFP spreads misinformation although I don’t know how he knows that because he said he never read our forum. First off, I don’t believe he never read it because the “A Day in the Life of this Small Town” article I heard really upset him (It should of). Again, in all fairness, that’s hearsay as I don’t personally know he was upset about it.

There probably has been some misinformation on here but we allow people to come in and correct it and express opposing points of view so why wine about someone saying something not accurate on here? Be the fair minded man he says he is and come correct it. Here's your opportunity to stop the rumors!

The TRR only allows people to post if their views line up with the editor of the site. Deliberatively lying and not allowing correction is something to be upset about, and it’s hard telling how long he belonged to the group that does that.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone read Len Greaney’s LTE in the RFT’s?

Post by C on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 pm

All this time I'll bet JSN has viewed his continued membership as approval of her diatribe. I feel bad though that his experience with TRR and may have jaded his view of RVFP.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 pm

When I read his LTE, I didn't take it that Mr. Greaney had entirely shut the door...just my impression. As far as unsubscribing to TRR, that's a good thing. I also think TRR would have a cow if he didn't treat us all the same. On one hand, I'm not saying it's fair because I don't think we have come close to TRR's behavior. On the other hand, teachers do this in school - everyone gets extra homework or whatever because a few people are acting out.

Sometimes it takes a while to resolve things equitably...what would anyone do instead if they were the town manager?

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:33 am

As for Mr. Greaney's letter: I think JSN crossed the line one too many times when she again attacked Chief Carter in her preamble to her diatribe on the possible closing of the district court.

I was glad to see Mr. Greaney take a stand. I think she's been riding on his implied support for too long. I'm sure she counts MB, FD, AB and Mr. Greaney as ardent supporters of her personal agenda. In her mind, she has the town's backing in whatever she spews forth.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 am

Here is Mr. Greaney's LTE, as retyped by myself from the RFT. Sometimes when we haven't read for ourselves, it is easy to misinterpret. It's easy to misinterpret when we do read for ourselves...lol. In my opinion, Mr. Greaney has put a lot of thought into this letter and I believe it is a good first step. I don't hear him denying anyone's rights.

I think we should start some kind of thread that entertains possible ways that the internet generation (whatever age that is!) can communicate effectively with the municipal government.

"To the Editor:
Today, I unsubscribed to TRR and never did read the RVFP, or the blogs on the Sun Journal. In unsubscribing, I have taken a personal stand that I will not again read any of the information that is presented on those three web reporting entities unless they change their intentions and actions.

I regret to say this because in many ways each reporter has presented excellent information for our attention and reading interest. The reporters have invested untold hours researching and presenting worthwhile articles. I compliment them for those positive actions.

On the negative side, the reporters have continued to demean and project half truths and innuendo which are creating stress within our town departments. Although each town official and department can occasionally do something that is viewed as wrong, there is a more appropriate process to address those issues.

I have an open door policy (sometimes to a fault) to professionally address each complaint or issue. I believe each selectman has a similar headset. We are not in a perfect world and cannot really deny others from expressing their opinion (flattering us or criticizing us). I always welcome input!

When I read or hear a perceived untruth, I listen and provide some feedback to the offender. An unhappy employee, board or committee member should work to create good questions and good ideas to the town officials to make us all better able to serve our citizens. Truly negative jabs and punches without factual content are destructive to our town.

I’m hopeful that a new internet based report will be created that will not print lies, half truths, innuendo and conflict generation. Our department head sand town officials should be treated with that respect until we no longer earn it and deserve it. The reports and articles should be based on facts which would be checked out by the reporters with the accuser and the accused before spreading the word. Those types of interviews would be helpful. One-sided slams are nonproductive and certainly build emotional connections and rejections.

I will continue to work my normal 60 hours per week in an effort to help our municipality.

Len Greaney,
Town manager,
Rumford"

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 am

Timeout, thanks for posting the letter. I thought about doing it, but I knew it would be old news by the time I finished typing (slow is an understatement).

I was glad to read Len's letter. But, I didn't like how he assumed this forum was just like TRR........especially since he stated that he has never read anything on this site.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:42 pm

"have continued to demean and project half truths and innuendo which are creating stress within our town departments."
I cannot remember a time when anything was posted on the RVFP that would stress any town department. Generally, the RVFP has been supportive of Rumford's municipal employees. The Rumford Reporter has been extremely critical of the RPD, RFD, Med-Care, and other Rumford departments and agencies.

"We are not in a perfect world and cannot really deny others from expressing their opinion"

The RVFP promotes freedom of expression. The Rumford Reporter limits it.

"Truly negative jabs and punches without factual content are destructive to our town."

It has been documented many times that The Rumford Reporter has published "without factual content". The Rumford Reporter REFUSES to correct its mistakes and missinformation. The RVFP is OPEN to discussion and correcting any and all missinformation.

"I’m hopeful that a new internet based report will be created that will not print lies, half truths, innuendo and conflict generation."

Clearly, Mr. Greaney is referring to The Rumford Reporter.

T

Number of posts : 2149
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:05 pm

I can see why RVFP gets misrepresented. I believe excerpts taken out of context from our site are sent out to stir up trouble. Example, although the following text on our forum comes from a citizen who supports the municipal government, it appears when taken from the original thread or post that he/she is implying that our current tm has a slush fund, and that the board is not doing a good job. See for yourself:

"A town manager needs to address problems on a daily basis, but there need to be limits to his/her authority. Sending the town crew to fill a pot hole at the intersection of Hancock and Lincoln (you know the one) is well within his/her authority (through the department head), but giving away thousands of dollars out of a slush fund is not. There need to be limits.

I agree that our current board has become quite unproductive.
"

If I were to send this to the board or the tm and say it's coming from a member of our forum, what do you think their reaction might be? Again, I don't see Len's LTE in black and white. The town manager is removing himself because he doesn't want to be involved with the "he said/she said" stuff. I need to be diligent in my posting if I want to make a difference. I am not setting this guideline for anyone else but myself. And that's what I plan to continue to do...be diligent in what I post and talk it over with a level-headed person first if I'm not certain. I hope you are all going to help me remember this. As Len said, none of us is perfect.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:39 pm

but if Len has any community sense, he will try to find a way to get JSN off at least 3 committees/boards. I think ONE is more than sufficient to satisfy her palinish ego.

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Letter submitted to the Rumford Falls Times

Post by 911Dispatcher on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:47 pm

This is in response to Rumford town manager Len Greaneys letter published in the Rumford Falls Time on January 15, 2009.

This is the age of the internet. Technology and computers have replaced old fashioned forms of communication and town gossip. The time of going down to the local store for a cup of coffee and the local town news has been replaced. Technology now allows us to stay where it is warm with a home brewed cup and a quick click of a button for the same gossip. I agree with Len to a point about these internet sites. There are blogs that try to represent themselves as a news source. Although sometimes they try to present factual information much of it is based on opinion, emotion and more of the good old gossip we crave just like our caffeine fix. What Len fails to say is that there are blogs that try to allow open discussion about issues. The same can be said for the comments section of the Sun Journal. Anyone with common sense can see that the things posted under these sections are merely opinions and gossip and not to be taken as factual. Although more convenient it is still no different then going down to the local store, picking up the newspaper and talking things over with Tom, Dick, and Harry. I’ll raise my hand and admit yes I’m a fellow blogger. I find that it’s a way for me to stay connected with people from the area I grew up in. A way for me to stay involved with the area and persons I care about. It is a path of open communication which in any relationship, be it between friends or citizens and town government, is a path that should be traveled. I have been to both internet sites that Len references and I have seen both the good, the bad and the ugly of each site. I believe both have allowed persons who would have stayed quite, if not given this venue, a chance to express their opinion. I believe that they have given those with great ideas for the town, who may never have been heard, a voice. I hope Len, the Rumford selectmen, and the citizens try to take the good with the bad of these sites and use it towards the town’s betterment, instead of completely ignoring them.

Now as a blogger I also want to offer this suggestion to my fellow comrades. The time and energy
that I have seen on these blogs should equally be put into action. It’s easy to sit back and be a Monday morning quarterback. It’s entirely a different story when someone steps off the sideline and steps into the game. Where would certain movements be today if persons merely wrote on a blog. Just imagine Dr. Martin Luther King deciding to sit behind a keyboard instead of protesting in the streets. Where would
the civil rights movement be today. How many of you posting online multiple times a day have ever attended a town meeting? How many of you have volunteered for a cause you truly feel passionate about? You claim to have answers to the town’s problems but what good are those answers if they only fall on deaf ears?

Erin Cox
Homer Alaska

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:03 pm

What a great letter!

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:09 pm

Yes.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:00 pm

This is my take on the difference between a blog and a forum.

Blogs:

Blogs are more of a soapbox, mostly used to share things that the owner/author wants to consider "published" to the world. Blogs normally have a very limited number of people who can create entries and the range of viewpoints and beliefs are also limited. It is not a format that often invites discussion, questions or differing views.
FMI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blogs
Forums:
Unlike blogs, most forums allow any member to start a new discussion (known as a thread), or reply to an existing thread. There usually
is no sense of ownership but the forum is overseen and moderated by member administrators. The range of topics discussed on forums is typically wider - as a website running forum software may have more than one forum, each dedicated to a different topic.
FMI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Forums

Simply put:
Blog= Monologue, personally owned
Forum=Debate, community shared

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:10 pm

blogs are also really all about ONE PERSON's point of view, and they control pretty much all input. (see example A)

forums allow multiple topics and do not generally limit discussion (see example B)

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:11 pm

oh, i just realized i repeated what you said in " simply put"....

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Nice post 911.

Len seems to try to be doing a good job, but... I think he's in over his head.

It's time for the Rumford Selectpersons to finally post the job and get a real Town Manager. Someone that has worked in the field, and has the necesary qualifications. Yes, that excludes Ms. Norris, who hasn't worked in the field, and definitely doesn't have the attributes necessary to perform the job.

It's unfortunate that Mr. Diconzo, Mr. Boivin, and Mr. Belanger continue to bring the town of Rumford down. I hope they gain the courage to resign for the good of the town, and the region.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:22 pm

How many of you posting online multiple times a day have ever attended a town meeting? How many of you have volunteered for a cause you truly feel passionate about? You claim to have answers to the town’s problems but what good are those answers if they only fall on deaf ears?

That is a really good point- I think people do those things in a way that is convenient, comfortable and familiar to them. I sent a letter to Len which included the following statement:

Not every citizen wants to climb up on a soapbox, not every citizen feels comfortable speaking in public meetings but these people have
ideas and opinions just like the more outgoing citizens of our town. I think there is a fear that it is only those who speak in the ears of town officials that are being heard.

I also told him I felt RVFP was establishing itself as a valuable form of communication.
Many of the topics on the RVFP forum reflect the
concerns and questions of the Rumford citizens along with ideas and potential solutions spread throughout the posts. I also suggested that having town officials available to explain how things work, correct misinformation or even to simply acknowledge that there may be an issue that needs attention could be very productive for the town and might help to foster more confidence and trust in our leaders.

Perhaps to Len and the selectmen find this "new age" form of communication sits outside their comfort and familiarity zone. But does that mean they should turn their backs on it hoping it will go away?

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm

I think until he has read our forum he shouldn't be speaking unfavorably about it.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:13 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:How many of you posting online multiple times a day have ever attended a town meeting? How many of you have volunteered for a cause you truly feel passionate about? You claim to have answers to the town’s problems but what good are those answers if they only fall on deaf ears?
I'm not a resident of Rumford or Maine.

I am involved in the community of which I am a resident.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:03 am

Exactly one of the points I was trying to get across C.

T I appreciate your post and am glad when anyone chooses to get involved. I hope you didn't take it as an accusation. It was meant to be more of a self reflection for bloggers in general. We all play are parts but blogging alone is not going to get results. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:00 pm

911Dispatcher wrote:I hope you didn't take it as an accusation.
Nope.

I was just clarifying.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:06 pm

I was just lying on the couch reading "Rebalancing the World" by Carol Lee Flinders. I came across this passage which describes the mindset perhaps needed to move forward in allowing mutual understanding. For what it's worth and for your reading pleasure:

"The ability, and before that the willingness, to embrace complexity--to see things with both eyes, isolated and integrated, and address them in their wholeness--is perhaps the essential task of human understanding..." "...Ultimately, it requires that when we're constructing a hypothesis, that hypothesis must account for all the available data (even when the bits and pieces seem to contradict each other), and if it's a society we're constructing, that society must accommodate the whole range of human truths and human types--the fact that we are, for instance, relational and ambitious, reverent and innovative, idealistic and pragmatic, playful and industrious.

The easier thing always is simply to shut out information that doesn't fit. The easier thing always is, and always has been, to limit ourselves to what we can see with just one eye."

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:16 pm

huh? sounds like psychospeak. would you care to translate it?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:18 pm

no. Come on X, if anyone can get it, it's you...don't be a lazy X...lol

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:20 pm

ok let me try " why can't we all just get along"?

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:01 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top