• B. EMS – RFD First Responder
7. NEW BUSINESS

• A. Approval of Town Warrant dated January 23, 2009
  • B. Meeting Protocol Regarding Citizen Participation
  • C. Approval of Sale of Tax Acquired Properties
  • D. Request for Texas Hold ‘Em Tournament from the Sons of Italy
  • E. Tax Collectors Report
  • F. Financial Reports – Budget vs. Actual and Excise Tax
  • G. Appointment of Maine Service Centers Coalition Representative and Alternate
8. Executive Session pursuant to 1 MRS §405 (6)(A) regarding a personnel matter with the Board and Town Manager
9. Adjournment

Last edited by C on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:23 am; edited 2 times in total

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: First Responder Service

Post by C on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:23 pm

I hope there is a good turnout at the meeting tomorrow in support of the First Responder service. I would also hope that under the new business they will decide to vote on adopting or amending the scheduled agenda at the beginning of each meeting.

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seems shady to me

Post by C on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 am

Sun Journal Wednesday, October 3, 2007 Selectmen to review fire duties
Doar said the town spends about $2,000 of the
Fire Department budget to provide first-responder duties each year.

Sun Journal Friday,October 5, 2007 Selectmen back firefighters serving as first responders

RUMFORD - An ongoing point of contention for
some in town took a step toward resolution Thursday night when selectmen voted
unanimously not to eliminate the first responder duties of the Rumford Fire
Department.

"I've been bombarded with this problem for
two years. I get calls about this every week," Belanger said, referring to
the appearance that fire trucks respond to every medical call. "We've
talked about this before and nothing changes."

Ron Theriault argued that Rumford was paying
more for emergency medical services than other towns that rely wholly on
Med-Care Ambulance Service.

Sun Journal Friday,December 19, 2008 FD issues reach boiling point

If you read these stories it's Belanger and Therriault who have continually been harping on this.
I'd like to know what is going on here? Did Belanger and Therriault initiate this issue in October 2007?? Did these same people two people have anything to do with bringing this issue up for vote with a new board in '08??
Why aren't WE the people voting on this anyhow??

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:02 pm

Lol, After the last meeting I decided I would submit a letter.

January 22, 2009

Rumford Board of Selectmen

Rumford Town Hall

45 Congress Street

Rumford, ME 04276

Re: Reinstatement of First Responder Program

Dear Chairman Boivin, Mr. Greaney and Selectmen:

I attended the last town meeting to express my concerns about the loss of services for the Rumford Point section of town. I understand the item has been moved to this week’s agenda. I am unable to attend due to prior commitments, and request the following be read by either the town manager or one of my selectmen at the appropriate time. I have witnessed in the past and have seen Selectman/Town managers read letters from our citizens. I would like to thank you in advance for this help.

I have witnessed first-hand how important it is for the Rumford Fire Department to offer First Responder assistance to citizens in the Rumford Point area. I am requesting that all of you reinstate these services to add the necessary protection the town of Rumford citizens deserve. I understand that there appears to be a cost issue with this service and I now request proof of actual cost to the town. I also request that the town of Rumford be given opportunity at this year's election to make the decision to keep or remove this valuable service. I would like to remind everyone that we, the Rumford citizens, voted not to decrease service.

Thank you,

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:46 pm

applause

Vigs

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-12-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 pm

This was what I got for news regarding tonight's meeting. Does anyone else have any input?

Tonight at the selectmen’s meeting there was no action taken, other than they officially tabled it. Len still feels the EMS program cost more in the range of 50k. What it boils down to is that Len still believes RT and doesn’t want to totally discharge RT’s ideas. What it boils down to is the FD can show all the proof and factual information but Len and the group are not going to believe the FD. They are going to have a few more meetings on it, from what I gather and see where it brings them.

Len read the letter from Timeout but put his own spin on it by leaving out a word, a very important word. Len was called on it and re-read the last two sentences of the letter and the second time he read it right. At that point he decided once again to put his own spin on it by saying
the straw poll was inaccurate. I would challenge that group had the straw poll came out the other way would they still feel it was “silly”?

(He left out the word NOT, in the last sentence)

Last edited by C on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Ron Russell stated that the $90,000 figure consisted of EMS and the elimination of one position, but then stated that the dollar value was pulled out of the air.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:37 am

What has happened here is that we have been lied to. A group in town has pulled the $90,000 out of the air to push the elimination of first responder services by the RFD. We have published the real cost for providing this service at $5,000, supplied from the RFD chief over 6 months ago. When Gary Wentzel came on, he looked at the situation and confirmed those figures. I have never seen hard figures from the anti Fire Department group to back up the $90,000 claim.

There are people in town that want to hurt the RFD anyway they can. Instead of recognizing them for wanting to provide a top quality service to the town and for taking pride in their work, they constantly seek to beat them down. Like we have seen so many other times in the past with this group, they don’t mind lying to the community to push their agenda of retribution.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinNSaisi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:45 am

It appears that the inflated costs include assessing a $250 fee ( a rental fee of sorts) per hour of use for the equipment every time an engine ran on an EMS call. Also, it is my understanding that a portion of the maintainence costs were included as was a charge for the cost of the water to wash the apparatus. Last night it sounded as if RT was being blamed for misleading everyone.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 am

$85,000, even at the ridiculous rate of $250/hr, is either an awful lot of calls or they figured in for some pretty high cost water. The RFD doesn’t buy Poland Spring water to wash their trucks do they?

Could you imagine if a Department Head turned in a budget like that to the same people that are trying to justify these figures???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:11 pm

Could we possibly get someone to do an easy cost analysis of a couple of departments around Maine similar to the size of Rumford and including Rumford for first responders to give to the public. You would need to pick a three month time period and get the run sheets for each department for that time period. Show the amount of calls responded to on Delta and Charlie levels, get the approximate cost of each call, the response time of each call, also factor in possbily the rate that RFD showed up onscene before Medcare. It would be a good comparison and something I think citizens would like to see. I'd then like to see the actual report that had the $90,000 quote to compare it with. Does anyone know who can get this done?

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:15 pm

You would think that the FD Chief could do this analysis with some accuracy. It has now been done by 2 different chiefs, an acting chief and a chief of the selectmen’s own choosing, the selectmen’s “man” if you will. If he can’t provide an honest budget, something’s seriously wrong.

Of course, he has provided an honest and realistic budget. The problem is some of the selectmen and perhaps even the town manager doesn’t like the figures, even if it is the truth. They don’t like it for two reasons. It exposes a lie told to the community and it makes it much harder for them to punish the RFD members for advocating for themselves.

That's what most of this nonsense is about. The complaints about parking across the sidewalk, the attacks against union members, the suspensions... On and on it goes. We've seen it against the RPD too.

This is a fundamental problem with our town government. We have people involved that are willing to lie to the public to get what they want. We have seen this before and with this crew, we will see it again.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:32 pm

does anyone remember , from the mists of time, just exactly what RT's problem with the FD is?

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:59 pm

It is my understanding that RT was a member of the call force but did not attend the minimum training and was let go.

Captain

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:24 pm

that would explain a lot!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:12 pm

What was the outcome of the sidewalk issue? I thought I provided some good debate against JSN's issue with it but never heard anything more about it.

gadget6412

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top