If I were Town Manager…

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If I were Town Manager…

Post by C on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:29 pm

If you were the town manager with unrestricted power to act at your own discretion, what goals would you set?
What actions, ideas or plans would you implement to improve our community?

This is just a hypothetical question, IF you somehow happened to be appointed in that position and IF we had an overly cooperative select board.

Last edited by C on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: If I were Town Manager…

Post by C on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:30 pm

My plan would be to improve the image of our community. In some areas this would simply be promoting our assets, in other areas it would
be working to eliminate or minimize the detractions. We have valuable natural resources that we are not taking full advantage of. I would work to create an attractive image of our town and then work to market that image outside of our community.

I would push for updating of some of our town policies. Rumford needs to step out of the dark ages and be more forward thinking. I think that some decisions are made by a few citizens that should be made by ALL of the citizens. We sorely need an Ethics Code and we need our Charter and Bylaws to be less vague and prone to misinterpretation.

I would evaluate our tax system to see if we are doing all we can to make our area financially attractive to businesses who would consider
locating here. I would evaluate what effect our taxes and budget cuts are having on the overall future of our town.

I would work to remove situations that promote power struggles. Our town departments need to be able to work as a team with each
player as important as the next. With everyone working together along with pooling of ideas, gives each department the potential work more efficiently. I also think it is important for the department heads to communicate with each other on a regular basis. Each department should have an understanding of other department goals and problems so they can work to compliment each others efforts.

My overall goal would be to improve communication and encourage people to want to make a difference in the future of our community. We have many talented and educated people in our town that have much to offer. I want all of our citizens to feel needed, appreciated
and comfortable investing of themselves in our community.

Lol, I'm dreaming right?

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:58 pm

I am not sure if you are dreaming, but you certainly are the voice of reason. The petty politics of the town go way back (I've always jokingly said "it must be in the water") but that doesn't mean things can't change. Did the dark ages evolve to the rennaissance? (my history fails me here).

Do we still need to rely on a charter that is written in 19th century legaleze?

(INSERT HERE: personal plug for 7 selectpersons )

You are on the right track!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:24 pm

but as a side note , the " unrestricted power" piece is a bit worrisome!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:40 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top