Conflicted?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Conflicted?

Post by T on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:17 pm

Posted at The Rumford Reporter:

We Resist Increased Government Spending to End the Recession

"President elect Obama is moving rapidly to pass a major stimulus package that may launch the federal deficits past $1 trillion “for years to come.” Obama’s plan includes hundreds of billions of dollars in new spending. According to Obama, “only the government can provide a short-term boost” in the form of new public works projects, increases in green technologies, massive state bailouts and more."

"Fax Key Members Urging Rejection of the Obama Plan With a click of a button, you can send 60 personalized faxes to key members of Congress—including Obama, your two Senators, Representative and other key members of Congress--urging them to reject Obama’s proposed Economic Recovery plan."

Link

From FOX NEWS.com:

Republican Governors Urge Congress to Pass Stimulus Bill

Most Republican governors have broken with their GOP colleagues in urging Congress to swiftly pass President Obama's economic stimulus plan.

NEW YORK -- Most Republican governors have broken with their GOP colleagues in Congress and are pushing for passage of President Barack Obama's economic aid plan that would send billions to states for education, public works and health care.

The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, planned to meet in Washington this weekend with Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell of Kentucky and other senators to press for her state's share of the package. party

Link

T

Number of posts : 2130
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Conflicted?

Post by FireDawg314 on Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:12 am

I have yet to figure out how it would work to "spend ourselves out of debt". When you guys figure it out, let me know!!

FireDawg314

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:52 am

How will a stimulus check help our country when the people spend that money on goods made in China or other countries? We pay through the nose for imported oil and aren't allowed to import pharmaceuticals, which are a few things that are really needed and we can't efficiently produce. I don't think there is anything that will truly help our economy until the government puts some control on imports. Perhaps China shouldn't be allowed to import to us any more (dollar for dollar) than we import to them or maybe levying a big tax on imported goods would help pay off our debt and give US companies a fighting chance.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

My understanding is we will be getting the money from other countries through loans. We already owe too much to other countries and we are giving too much in the so called foriegn aid fund. It should not be the foriegn income fund!

If this is true, then keep my stimulus money, we do not need to owe our country to someone else.

gadget6412

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:51 pm

gadget6412 wrote:keep my stimulus money

I don't believe there is any plan to give you any.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 pm

T- Is that sarcasm? WOW, you funny!

It is the democrats plan to give everyone something, even you.

gadget6412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Hmmm - economic stimulus package - many would welcome that, just as they look forward to receiving income tax refunds (if any) to survive the rest of the winter. If one doesn't have short term need, i.e., heat, electricity, mortgage, car repair bills, then I suppose they can discuss the principles and supporting big business. Sorry, it's not one or the other. Some may do just fine without the stimulus money, others may not. How does the possibility of loss of homes, etc. affect the overall economy?

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:05 pm

gadget6412 wrote:T- Is that sarcasm?

Yup

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Timeout- I agree the money is needed by some and I would welcome it as well. My point is that as a nation, we do not need to be owing to a foriegn country.

Here is a scenario I heard a few years back. We borrow money from Isreal, so that we can pay them interest, so that they can buy jets from us. Does that make sense to anyone except to those who have their grubby paws in the fund?

Why are we giving money to Citibank when they are going to pay millions of dollars to put their name on a stadium? They say the money will not be coming out of the bailout money. Oh, thanks for the clarification Citibank.

And on and on.....

T- thanks for the clarification, I wanted to be sure I was laughing with you!!

gadget6412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:39 pm

I understand where you're coming from. I was listening to a debate on CNN last night about giving cuts or aid to corporations who are still sending work out of the country and whether restrictions should or could be set on that aid... probably the way my mind works but I go in and out of global vs. local, trying to see where and what would be most effective. From way out I see the whole thing as an economic transition from individual country/industrial era to global economy monopolized by the few. As for myself and I think for any town on the lower end of the economic scale, these will be the areas most immediately and hardest hit. We already see people turning on each other, casting blame, etc. Here's an example: I read the saving money tips on the SJ and saw the horrible comments made in reply to someone suggesting a way to cook dinner more economically for instance. I see that as an expression of rage looking for a place to land. These things worry me...I don't think they will improve as we decend into harder times.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Timeout, while I cannot condone expressions of rage - outrage - at seemingly innocuous items, I also understand that it is human nature to become enraged when it is felt that we have no control over people, events, our surroundings, etc. I think many people are feeling so helplesss because of the events in the economy of the past five months and the seeming lack of oversight by the money-givers and the supposed regulatory authorities, that they are expressing rage/outrage in almost any situation that doesn't fit into their perception of a perfect world. Again, I can't condone it, but I do understand it.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:30 pm

I agree, I think it's a naturally occurring phenomenon. These are things that worry me when we think of cutting department budgets even further. For example, someone stole 8 weapons recently and the police recovered 5 to date...I think revolvers have only one purpose. Students have broken into the school stealing equipment - as times get harder, I believe we will see more and more of this on every level. Not trying to be gloomy, I just see it as naturally occurring. I have been pretty quiet on here lately, observing the developments.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigs on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:20 pm

One of the most
meaningful crime statistics used in Uniform Crime Reporting is the
Crime Rate. This rate is the number of offenses per 100,000
inhabitants. This rate can be calculated regardless of the number of
inhabitants in a city or county. To compute rates, divide the city’s
population by 100,000 and divide the number of offenses in each class
by that answer. The answer is the number of offenses per 100,000
inhabitants, and that is your crime rate for that offense.

2007 Crime Index of Offenses

Index Offenses
Number

Crime Rate
Murder 5 10.94
Rape 9 19.69
Robbery 96 156.99
Aggravated Assaults 86 210.06
Burglary 552 1207.87
Larceny 1,782 3899.34
Motor Vehicle Theft 112 /0.48411" align="right">245.07
Arson 19 41.57