Summer Employment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Summer Employment

Post by Timeout on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:57 pm

I was talking to one of the selectmen recently about the prospect of summer employment for teens. These are the things on my mind: Jobs that might have been available for teens may understandably be redirected to adults who need employment. Fewer opportunities for teens = more time on their hands. Less cash in hand may possibly = increased crime. These are the years that, in my opinion, teens should be preparing to enter the work world. My own child for instance does not necessarily have to earn money but I certainly want her to be involved in at least some type of community service. At this age, teens can learn how to work, how to show up for work on time, how to act at work, how to dress for work, how to make a commitment to work - all essential life skills. They can be adding important experience to their college or work world resumes.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Summer Employment

Post by 911Dispatcher on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Many towns across the nation offer internship and mentor programs that help towards college. You could offer a spot in just about every department in town government. Fire departments have junior Firefighter programs, Police departments have explorer programs, town offices often will allow a teen to help during the summer with office work. I even know of TM positions that allow a spot for someone to shadow them during the summer.

There is also some great volunteer programs that will greet motivated teens with open arms. Norlands Living History Center was my great adventure as a teen and taught me to truly love and appreciate history. Hospitals and nursing homes have programs. I know of some that will allow persons to come in and read either in the pediatric ward or for elderly patients who can't see well. The comfort one floor (mostly terminal cancer patients) at CMMC allows people to come in and offer to read/talk and even do crafts with patients. When my sister was sick we had a student volunteer that offered to do scrapbooking with her. Local radio stations, television stations, and newspapers often have internship programs for teens too.

It would be nice to see towns across Maine doing somewhat of the same programs. Overall they don't cost a dime and the pay off is huge.

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:01 am

Those are some excellent ideas...thank you!

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top