Farewell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Farewell

Post by steve on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 pm

I have asked Admin to terminate my membership on this forum. I provided my reasons, which Admin is free to post to the general discussion if he/she wishes. I can only say that perhaps there was some degree of validity in the complaints expressed by Kevin Saisi when he left. I will miss some of you - others not so much. I do wish the best to all of you and hope that everyone will gain a deeper sense of compassion and understanding of both your friends and enemies.
Goodbye.

Steve

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Farewell

Post by T on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 pm

So, what got your panties in a bunch this time steve? Posting facts bother you so much that you need to take your ball and go home? If you donít like my posts, ignore them.

steve wrote:I do wish the best to all of you and hope that everyone will gain a deeper sense of compassion and understanding of both your friends and enemies.
If you really meant the above, you wouldnít be asking the ďadminĒ to terminate your membership. You would be actively engaged so that you could gain that deeper sense of compassion and understanding.

Before anyone chastises me for this post, steve is inviting a response by posting his "farewell". If and when I ďleaveĒ this forum, it will not be announced. I donít need the attention.

T

Number of posts : 3017
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:55 am

Goodbye, Steve.
Some of us will miss you, others not so much.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm

I debated whether or not to comment on this thread for a while now. I've been bothered by some of the posts here so decided to "speak" my mind as a few others have. I think the responses to Steve's post very succinctly demonstrates the attitudes that many forum members are losing patience with. Admin posted on this subject less than a week ago.
Iíve asked our members before to not post simply for the purpose of trying to be hurtful to others. We have been upset with TRR for behaving in a vindictive and spiteful way. The worst thing we can do is to behave in the same way.
I am once again asking our membership to think about what they are trying to accomplish with their post before they hit the send button. If itís simply to be hurtful, donít post it here.
Is it blatant disregard or a lapse in communication?
C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:29 pm

I too debated about whether to comment. Steve left of his own volition; he wasn't banned as he could have been on another site (who shall not be named... at least in this post). Did I comment when he was making his anti-obama statements? no. Is he smart? yes. Does he have a sense of humor or irony? no. Am i sorry for anything I've ever said? no. Do I wish he hadn't left? yes. There are people who post here because you allow that freedom to express the frustrations of being bombarded (ok, maybe it's self-induced,) with idiotic and vicious statements from the TRR site (Toxic Rumford Redundancy). (OOPS, sorry I just named the other site)... It's the only recourse we currently have. They are not meant to be " hurtful" to others so much as they are meant to be a questioning and calling out of those parties putting out such garbage.

Please don't try to make us feel sorry for Steve. He is, after all, a big boy and can make his own choices. No one beat him up here.

Also , please don't try to make us feel guilty for making comments about things that literally SCREAM to be responded to. That's what a real forum is for.

Last edited by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing point)

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:35 pm

It's true some posts occasionally invite sarcastic or witty responses. As moderator I do overlook many posts, but what admin and I are really hoping to see (aside from the Accountability forum) is for members to use a little self restraint/self moderation when it comes to making derogatory or rude remarks. It is understandable that the TRR subjects tend to invoke strong opinions and those posts under Accountability reflect and allow that. I'd like to see the main forum represent something totally different than the behavior that TRR encourages. Disparaging remarks toward other peoples thoughts and opinions don't reflect well on the open-mindedness and intelligence of the person posting those remarks and doesn't help our forum to become a reputable or welcoming source for debating the issues.
Every member has some control in the direction this forum takes. By adding to the content in the main forum and steering discussion to the issues that concern them sets an example and encourages others to contribute to beneficial discussion and debate.
FLAMING-
An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and such a response is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. In some cases, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they can be called "trolls". Most often however, flames are angry or insulting messages transmitted by people who have strong feelings about a subject.

The second usually begins when an on topic vote about a controversial topic (either about the board subject or in general) the result debates and arguments will often devolve into insults. Like the above example this leads to personal comments about other posters.

Last edited by C on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:37 pm

gee, sorry

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:38 pm

second of all, I never trashed steve (even when i wanted to!)

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:41 pm

you can consider my hand duly slapped, but it certainly isn't the first time. Let me know when i can come out of the corner.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm

you can consider my hand duly slapped, but it certainly isn't the first time. Let me know when i can come out of the corner.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:51 pm

steve wrote:I will miss some of you - others not so much. I do wish the best to all of you and hope that everyone will gain a deeper sense of compassion and understanding of both your friends and enemies.
steve wrote:So what?? He's gone. Move on.
steve wrote:I expect a higher level of civility here.

steve wrote:civility has "left the building"
steve wrote:I will not participate in character assassination

I agree. These are disparaging, derogatory, and/or rude remarks and should not be tolerated.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:03 pm

and frankly, some characters deserve " assassination" (not in the literal sense)

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:44 pm

In case no one noticed, in my goodbye to Steve I simply mirrored his own parting words.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:15 pm

steve wrote:I have asked Admin to terminate my membership on this forum. I provided my reasons, which Admin is free to post to the general discussion if he/she wishes. I can only say that perhaps there was some degree of validity in the complaints expressed by Kevin Saisi when he left. I will miss some of you - others not so much. I do wish the best to all of you and hope that everyone will gain a deeper sense of compassion and understanding of both your friends and enemies.
Goodbye.

Steve

C wrote:If itís simply to be hurtful, donít post it here.

I agree, it shouldn't have been posted.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:30 pm

on the other hand, T, i sometimes, maybe naively so, see us all as one big dysfunctional family (ALL FAMILIES ARE DYSFUNCTIONAL), arguing and sniping back and forth, but with mostly kind hearts. I never intend to hurt anyone's feelings (beyond the obvious JSN thing, but that's different). I can't wait for our annual 4th of july picnic! I hope Steve can get over his snit fit before then. There's big doings coming up and we should all be ready and informed.

xmashen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:01 pm

Now C, I can go back and find more posts by Steve that clearly fit your definition of "FLAMING" and "TROLL". Then again, isn't what qualifies a matter of perception?

Steve doesnít like what he perceives to be my "politics". Heís made that clear. Steveís ďpoliticsĒ seem to be more in-line with Jennifer Stowell Norrisí politics. I believe he feels Jennifer Stowell Norris is being victimized because of these (shared) views. In fact, it is her lies and libelous/slanderous statements that draw the fire.

Part of why this forum exists was to challenge and correct, or at the very least, point out the misinformation manufactured by The Rumford Reporter. In doing so, posts have been sarcastic and contemptuous at times. So what

Maybe the River Valley Free Press is past challenging The Rumford Reporter. Maybe itís time for a new mission.

If so, let us know.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 pm

The forum is shaped by the people on it. We all have our line as to what's funny and what's too much. T, you will have to find your own line.
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:00 pm

I would also venture to say that not being anonymous on here has made me a target for comments I haven't made, mostly because I am one of the only names associated with the forum. I have been dealing with some pretty nasty stuff. I am quite certain that no one intends that outcome, it's just the way it is.

For myself, I would appreciate it if the comments about TRR were under Accountability. That is my understanding of how it was supposed to work. Maybe I'm on the wrong mission...lol...
Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I guess this is what happens when you go down the slippery slope of censorship.

We have tried to keep the forum civil and productive, as opposed to adding to the antisocial capital that has plagued the town. As the forum has progressed, that line has become quite gray.

We have been criticized for letting negative comments go unchecked. Itís a balancing act that seems to put us in a no win situation. Lean too far to either side and we upset people.

We want and need to be free to discuss things here. We need to be able to challenge and correct misinformation. I guess we are just asking everyone to try to keep their posts from going to far over that gray line.

Thanks
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by T on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15 pm

I will say one final thing on this matter. The "Admin" and "C" need to check and see that their own house is in order before they criticize.

T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Everyone's "houses" are disordered occasionally. It's human nature and it's understandable and overlooked by many. When one's "house" becomes perpetually and predictably "out of order" it's not so easily overlooked.
C
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:59 am

Everyone who participates on this forum needs to take responsibility.
Can't we just all agree WE'VE (as in everyone on here) have gotten out of hand. Can't we agree that WE (as in everyone on here) needs to get a little more on track to the goal of this forum. Again we are going back to the town governments way of doing things. Blame everyone else, dwell on the past and negative, and forget any positive and fruitful conversation.

How about we move forward? How about some suggestions?

Wind Mills and health concerns: take it or leave it

Areas in the budget where we are willing to make cuts: suggestions welcome! (challenge: do not mention or reference JSN or TRR, including names like HRH or SWNBN)

Ideas for Economic growth, or is it even possible? (same challenge as above)

Combining of services with Mexico, snow removal, police, fire, (Fantasy: lets pretend other towns DO want to work with us, also same challenge as above)

Discuss possible persons we'd like to see run for next term and why (same challenge as above)

Any other suggestions?
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:20 am

T can I also mention there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. Anyone willing to become better at anything they do needs to be open to suggestion, for those who don't are doomed to repeat their failures.
911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top