View previous topic View next topic Go down

ALASKAN VOLCANO MOUNT REDOUBT ERUPTS

Post by 911Dispatcher on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Seismic activity at Redoubt has increased since about 13:00 AKDT and is
continuing. An AVO observation flight reported that a steam and ash
plume rose as high as 15,000 ft above sea level and produced minor ash
fall on the upper south flank of Redoubt. Last reports are that the
plume is now mainly steam.

Based on thsi change in activity AVO is increasing the level of concern and alert level to ORANGE/WATCH.

It does not appear at this time that a significant eruption is likely in the short term, but conditions may evolve rapidly.

AVO is monitoring the situation closely and the AVO operations center in Anchorage is now resuming 24 hour per day staffing.

WWW.AVO.ALASKA.EDU

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ALASKAN VOLCANO MOUNT REDOUBT ERUPTS

Post by xmashen on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:43 pm

hope you are safe!

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:54 am

Update:

10:28pm Alaskan time Mt. Redoubt erupted with an Ash cloud recorded at 50,000 feet and climbing. At this time the volcano is still erupting.

(I'm headed to the store for extra food, water, and supplies)

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:16 am

Are you in any danger? My thoughts are with you!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Post by C on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:25 pm

Are you guys getting any or expecting any ash fallout? Hopefully the winds will keep it away from more populated areas. I know you mentioned when Redoubt first started its rumblings that you had to buy masks, goggles etc. at what point do you have to start wearing them? What other precautions will you have to take? Keep us posted if you can.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:56 pm

VOLCANIC DUST AND PUBLIC IMPACT: Ashfall restricts visibility, and is a general nuisance. Individuals exposed to airborne volcanic ash may experience various eye, nose and throat irritation. Although ash can cause discomfort, short-term breathing of volcanic ash is not known to pose a significant health hazard for healthy individuals. However, exposure to ash can make breathing difficult for infants, the elderly and those with respiratory ailments. People with existing respiratory conditions, such as chronic bronchitis, emphysema and asthma, are more at risk for developing acute respiratory symptoms from breathing volcanic ash. Anyone in these risk groups should be particularly careful to avoid exposure. Contact your health provider if you are concerned about symptoms. DEC advises everyone to avoid unnecessary exposure to ash. Wear a disposable face mask outdoors to reduce inhalation of ash particles. Dust masks can be purchased at most hardware stores. Masks that seal to the face provide the best protection. Alternatively, a wet cloth or bandana placed over the mouth and nose can help reduce exposure. Contact lens wearers are advised to switch to eye glasses to reduce eye irritation from ash exposure. Wearing goggles can help to protect your eyes and wearing long sleeved shirts as well as gloves may be helpful. Remember that pets are also susceptible to all of these same symptoms, and should be kept indoors or sheltered from ash fall as well.

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:06 am

Flights have been disrupted which can cause problems in Alaska because 90% of our food supplies are shipped via Air Cargo. The ash is a highly corrosive substance and will bring an aircraft down. It will also disrupt cell phones, computers, and cars. Right now a light dusting is being observed North West of Anchorage in Talkeetna, however its only a light, barely visible dusting. If this activity is expected to be like the eruption in 1989 the volcano will have multiple eruptions for weeks or months causing the surrounding areas to be concerned with ash fall. Basically it depends on the day it erupts, how high, and where the wind is blowing. So far the volcano has erupted 5 times since yesterday with ash plumes recorded over 60,000 feet. Currently Homer Alaska is not experiencing any ash fall but we are an area of concern if the wind pattern changes.

Last edited by 911Dispatcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:09 am

Oh and thanks everyone for the concern hug

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:40 am

Volcanic Activity Summary: Another phase of vigorous ash eruption at Redoubt Volcano began at 7:41 pm (AKDT). AVO remains at Aviation Color Code RED and Alert Level WARNING.

The top of the ash cloud is estimated to be at least 50,000 ft above sea level based on NWS radar. Winds in the vicinity of the volcano vary with altitude and are expected to carry the ash cloud primarily to the west and north. Seismicity has declined somewhat since the start of the event but remains elevated.

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:51 pm

The volcano erupted again this morning and we now have a heavy ash fall in Homer. I tried to step outside to get pictures....but that wasn't my best decision of my life. The air has a heavy sulfur smell and its difficult to breath outside. I'll post photos that I take through the windows shortly.

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

As it rolls across the bay

Post by 911Dispatcher on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:12 pm

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:14 pm

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:25 pm

Second Ash Fall 4/4/2009....did I mention I hate volcanos

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:55 pm

911, isn't volcanic ash corrosive?

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:15 pm

Very corrosive....advice, do not use your windshield wipers until you rinse your vehicle. This is our new Impala and it hasn't even been taken out yet.

911Dispatcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:12 pm

Ooooh, I wouldn't want to deal with that. What a mess! I will never again complain about the snow.

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:50 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top