First Responder Service - How Much Does it REALLY Cost?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First Responder Service - How Much Does it REALLY Cost?

Post by gadget6412 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:06 am

Thanks for the answers and input.

gadget6412

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2008-06-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:20 pm

My question is simple:
How does the fire department recoup the $80,000 or $90,000 projected savings that have not been realized by eliminating First Responder?

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Firedawg makes a very good point. Years ago when I worked as a shop steward (union) for a airline we constantly were looking at cut backs. The airline employee motto was 'go the extra mile'. Many thought this was a great way to encourage employees to exceed in customer service, something that is seriously lacking in businesses today. However like most things managment abused and took that motto to an extreme. Managment was eager to praise employees for stepping up and working short handed, for cutting out certain steps to get the job done. There ultimately was a bad side to this though. Stress went through the roof and moral went out the window. Some major things started falling through the cracks and mistakes became very common. When budget time came around or if we requested extra help in a department the reply back from managment was if you can do with less why do we need to add more. Then to make things worse managment started pushing the envelope seeing just how low on the ladder they could operate. They only looked at the dollars and didn't really look at the quality of service being provided. This airline use to be one of the best rated airlines in the 80's and 90's. Most of the credit for that went to the amazing employees but at the same time the business was under management that understood less isn't always more.

(Just a side note, this airline had a fatal plane crash during the late 90's early 2000. The cause of the plane crash was found to be a mechanical problem and the airline was not at fault, but during the investigation there were some serious inquires by the FAA into the airline cutting maintenace steps to save money. When you deal with peoples lifes those small mistakes can be fatal)

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Okay, let me ask another question...Will the town vote for an even smaller fire department budget this year even though it was misinformed on budgeting last year?

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:37 pm

another question, will the town even ACKNOWLEDGE that the old information was bogus?

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by who? on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 pm

I think the Town Officials should stand up and acknowledge publicly the citizens where mislead. They also should refresh the committees.

who?

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steve on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:48 am

gadget6412 wrote:T

Do you know the size of the forces, full time and on call of about 1970-1975, it seems that the RFD was one of the best in the state at that time also and the size now? I ask this as that is when I was growing up there. This would also give me a concept of the size of the force now.

gadget, someone there should pose that question to Eugene Boivin. He was a Lieutenant back then and should be able to clearly recall the staffing levels. My own recollection is that there were about 12-14 permanent firefighters (including the chief) and about 30 on the call force.

steve

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 pm

I would agree the call force was probably bigger back then, I am unsure of the teams in the fire department house. I remember though the times when the whistle would blow and we would go to the chart and see where the fire was. Most of the codes we knew and could tell which part of town they were in. I was one of the first ones on the scene at the Wardwell building where the Barnboard is now. We got there because it was in our area of Falmouth Street. Wow, what a fire that was. The fire department saved a lot of surrounding structures from going up. That would be a story I would like hear from Eugene as I am sure he was there then. Hopefully, he monitors the site. I am unsure of how to contact him otherwise. Thanks.

gadget6412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Oh, I love that picture!

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:15 am

Thank you, I took that in front of my house. It is a garden angel that we have sitting in front of the bushes. I cannot tell you the flowers, oh yeah I can, they're red. I will admit the mist is added, but the rest is a real picture by me. I take them and turn them into desktop backgounds, someday I hope to sell a CD, what a dream. If you watch I will change some. I like yours also. I would have like to see what they would have looked like in the dark glowing against the snow.

Half the world did not go to work today in the DC area. I think we got about 2" of snow!!

gadget6412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gadget6412 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Sorry, got off subject.

gadget6412

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:13 pm

it's reinstated! more later

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Okay, I'm back. The program has been reinstated for 90 days with Delta and Echo calls only. It will take about ten days to get the licenses back. I am so happy - this is a much needed service especially for Rumford Point. Thanks for everyone who made this happen.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FireDawg314 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:46 pm

Well that is progress at least. I was actually just thinking about how our best bet at this might be to simply use the EMD coding. I would like to have seen Bravo codes on there as well, but something is better than nothing at this point I guess.

FireDawg314

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:04 am

Firedawg,

I agree with you but I also think that something is better than nothing. Once the experimental time frame is up and they have data that they all cannot dispute maybe the people will want more. It was a rather confusing meeting because they were saying they wanted to do what the citizens wanted; well 2 years ago the citizens wanted all their services to stay the same. So if they truly want to up hold the citizens wishes then we shouldn’t have even got to his point and I know I am going to get hammered on by some people about the “silly” straw poll. It was a vote of the people no matter how they slice it. I just hope when it goes before the people again and if it goes in favor of the program that it is honored and not considered a “silly” pole.

marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marktripp on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:32 am

I also would like to echo what timeout said, thank you to everyone who supported the re-instatement of this program.

marktripp

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-06-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:43 am

applause

Z

Number of posts : 334
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Timeout on Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:43 am

The main thing is that all five selectmen supported the service, regardless of how they motioned or voted on how it should be implemented. They did the right thing...I'm really happy with that.

Timeout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:35 am

Yes, timeout. A step in the right direction. It is good to see them agree on a matter. It is also good to see productive discussion of different viewpoints on how to carry these measures out.

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Z on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:41 am

From the Sun Journal article on first responding:

Posted By:Justice at February 6, 2009 9:34 AM [url=mailto://web@sunjournal.com?subject=Suggest Blog Post Removal&body=Please consider removing the post with message id of: 191584, which reads: Wooooooohooooooo. Here comes the slippery slope to mandatory overtime again. Guess the RFD won](Suggest Removal)[/url]
Wooooooohooooooo. Here comes the slippery slope to mandatory overtime again. Guess the RFD won't have to file anymore grievances demanding overtime. Maybe, we as taxpayers will have to put up with less blogging now that they may actually have to do something. "Axing the Budget Season" is still around the corner boys. And the voters love those lower numbers on those secret ballots we have now.

Has she changed her name again?

Z

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:45 am

[/quote]

Has she changed her name again?[/quote]

That would be my guess. She can change her name, but not her identity!!!!

dr

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-12-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 911Dispatcher on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:07 pm

Just in case you didn't know when commenting on SJ you can easily change your name every time you post. Simply look at where your name appears when you start to type your comment...you can delete it and type in anything, including matching names of others online, before you hit the 'Post Comment' button. Not that I'm recommending it but anyone can post as 'Justice' or 'The "Real" Truth' at the same time as her.

911Dispatcher

Number of posts : 469
Registration date : 2008-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Just noticed that comment has been removed.

dr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dr on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:39 pm

JSN is "Jutice".
She posted a story from the yesterday's SJ. There were several comments from "The Truth". Now they read from "Justice".

dr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by xmashen on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:19 pm

next she'll be "the American Way"

(from the old Superman cartoon intro.... "seeking TRUTH, JUSTICE and the AMERICAN WAY")

xmashen

Number of posts : 949
Registration date : 2008-06-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:06 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top