Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:55 am

Kevin,
If you don't like that this site allows anonymity, you are free to post someplace else. If you don't like how this site is run, start your own with your own rules.

I think the administration does extremely well in tactfully handling what goes on on this site. And I, for one, like the freedom from harassment that anonymity affords.
Respectfully,
bug

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Phil on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:34 am

KevinNSaisi wrote:Any discussion between Phil and Seth is private unless they choose to share it in public.

Phil B. didn't say that which would have been acceptable to me and we could have moved on. Instead, Phil B. took the low road and insulted me for asking an honest question which then leads me to believe that there is much more behind the answer then Phil B. wants us to believe.

KevinNSaisi wrote:Phil has no power to control decisions of the EDC nor decisions of the Board od Selectmen. The EDC has no power to spend money. It was made clear at the last Selectman meeting that the support was not financial. Phil Blampied spoke up against the town financially supporting the effort. Why is there so much concern about what Seth may have said to Phil?

I know, for the third time, this has been answered.

KevinNSaisi wrote:If you have posted on this topic without knowing any of the above information, you need to do research before accusing a man of conspiracy/collusion/etc. This is what drives many well-meaning citizens from this forum. If this forum were properly monitored, it would have more than 27 members and people would feel free to discuss things openly without worrying about being attacked. No wonder only a small handful have the integrity to sign their names. If you cannot be accountable for what you say, you probably shouldn't say it

I asked an honest question to learn more about the casino. Thats it. Phil B. starter the thread answering questions made by anonymous posters then takes the low road when pressed with new questions. All fine by me

Lastly, while you use an old dirty political trick of shooting the messenger, the point of all this gets lost. I want FACTS, I don't want to bicker about conspiracies, and blogs and this and that. Its childish. Wanna talk FACTS, fine. Wanna insult and bicker and whatever then I don't want to be a part of it

Phil

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Timeout on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:41 am

1) Should the economic development committee invest in pursuing the casino as it would any other potential business?

2) If so, how much should be invested and in what areas? (i.e., infrastructure, etc.)

3) The casino is non-existent until November and the vote; should monies be invested at this time in preparation for the possibility?

The Economic Development Committee is an open committee. If only people who, for instance, want to plant flower gardens all over Rumford show up, then we will likely spend more time talking about flower gardens...it is and always has been up the Rumford citizens.

Timeout

Number of posts : 829
Registration date : 2008-06-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by C on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:41 am

I think the suspicion here is that some people in service to the town of Rumford (either elected or volunteer) have a personal interest in the success of the proposed casino. We know Seth Carey as a member of EDC does. How many others on the EDC or town officials will have personal gain, either directly or indirectly, if this does go through? I'm not making any accusations, just clarifying why some could be skeptical about ANY town money being spent on this before the November election.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24
Location : Rumford, ME

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:51 pm

C wrote:I think the suspicion here is that some people in service to the town of Rumford (either elected or volunteer) have a personal interest in the success of the proposed casino. We know Seth Carey as a member of EDC does. How many others on the EDC or town officials will have personal gain, either directly or indirectly, if this does go through? I'm not making any accusations, just clarifying why some could be skeptical about ANY town money being spent on this before the November election.

By the use of the word "some" you are , in fact, making an accusation of more than one person. Come out with it and provide proof.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:08 pm

Phil wrote:
KevinNSaisi wrote:Any discussion between Phil and Seth is private unless they choose to share it in public.

Phil B. didn't say that which would have been acceptable to me and we could have moved on. Instead, Phil B. took the low road and insulted me for asking an honest question which then leads me to believe that there is much more behind the answer then Phil B. wants us to believe.

KevinNSaisi wrote:Phil has no power to control decisions of the EDC nor decisions of the Board od Selectmen. The EDC has no power to spend money. It was made clear at the last Selectman meeting that the support was not financial. Phil Blampied spoke up against the town financially supporting the effort. Why is there so much concern about what Seth may have said to Phil?

I know, for the third time, this has been answered.

KevinNSaisi wrote:If you have posted on this topic without knowing any of the above information, you need to do research before accusing a man of conspiracy/collusion/etc. This is what drives many well-meaning citizens from this forum. If this forum were properly monitored, it would have more than 27 members and people would feel free to discuss things openly without worrying about being attacked. No wonder only a small handful have the integrity to sign their names. If you cannot be accountable for what you say, you probably shouldn't say it

I asked an honest question to learn more about the casino. Thats it. Phil B. starter the thread answering questions made by anonymous posters then takes the low road when pressed with new questions. All fine by me

Lastly, while you use an old dirty political trick of shooting the messenger, the point of all this gets lost. I want FACTS, I don't want to bicker about conspiracies, and blogs and this and that. Its childish. Wanna talk FACTS, fine. Wanna insult and bicker and whatever then I don't want to be a part of it

Here are the FACTS as I know them:
1> Seth Carey is the head of the Casino effort.
2> His proposal is on the ballot in November due to hard work and a large personal investment by himself and family and friends (non of which I know or believe to be elected or appointed officials except for his father).
3> The proposal has no financial backer at this time, though he is in discussion with a number of experienced comapnies.
4> Due to the lack of a signed contract with an investor, Seth has not established a specific location for the resort because it would put him at a disadvantage in negotiating/attracting an investor.
5> Seth is working hard to assure that the casino is both "green" and located in Rumford, but has to work with investors (who we have established are not yet in place).

If we want this to succeed, we cannot be working against the effort. Questions as to where it will be located and who will run it are irrelevent. Seth has applied for the licence and the proposal has indicated where monies will go. So, this is more of a casino concept decision, rather than a micromanage-the business decision. I find it interesting that so many want to micromanage Seth's efforts, but yell and scream when the Selectmen give direction to a department through the town manager. Truth be told, Seth's operation is a private business being built with private funds. How it runs is none of your business. Where it is located is none of your business. We would all like it to be located in our town, but the reality is that it needs to be located where it will be viable and profitable. Let's approve the concept and let the free enterprise system work.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by C on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:17 pm

I'll reiterate that. "I'm not making any accusations"

It is our business if any town resources are being used to promote the concept of this "private business". Our selectfew are publicly endorsing it, the EDC is working on it to some extent. The selectmen and town manager are having meetings to discuss it. Are we paying the TM to hold meetings about a casino concept that is a private enterprise and none of our business? Is a business that will change the whole dynamics of where we live none of our business? I'm not totally against a casino. There are many variables that could sway my support either way.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24
Location : Rumford, ME

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Phil on Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:30 pm

KevinNSaisi wrote:
Here are the FACTS as I know them:
1> Seth Carey is the head of the Casino effort.
2> His proposal is on the ballot in November due to hard work and a large personal investment by himself and family and friends (non of which I know or believe to be elected or appointed officials except for his father).
3> The proposal has no financial backer at this time, though he is in discussion with a number of experienced comapnies.
4> Due to the lack of a signed contract with an investor, Seth has not established a specific location for the resort because it would put him at a disadvantage in negotiating/attracting an investor.
5> Seth is working hard to assure that the casino is both "green" and located in Rumford, but has to work with investors (who we have established are not yet in place).

If we want this to succeed, we cannot be working against the effort. Questions as to where it will be located and who will run it are irrelevent. Seth has applied for the licence and the proposal has indicated where monies will go. So, this is more of a casino concept decision, rather than a micromanage-the business decision. I find it interesting that so many want to micromanage Seth's efforts, but yell and scream when the Selectmen give direction to a department through the town manager. Truth be told, Seth's operation is a private business being built with private funds. How it runs is none of your business. Where it is located is none of your business. We would all like it to be located in our town, but the reality is that it needs to be located where it will be viable and profitable. Let's approve the concept and let the free enterprise system work.

Here are some more FACTS:
1: Seth Carey publically stepped down as head of the casino project because of his personal unethical dealings. What leads you to believe he is the "head" of this project?
2: Seth Carey has paid you money as reported on the PAC report.
3: Seth Carey has received over $135,000 of funding from outside sources. Who are these sources? How much was given? Are they owners? Was it a loan? Is he in debt? Was he given more? How much has Seth made from "investors"????
4: Seth Carey is asking the Maine voters to change the law that would make him a very rich man. this is not a private business as you would like us to believe.
5: Seth Carey faces possible disbarrment or suspension from practicing law because of his immoral/unethical behavior
6: Pat Lamarche, a respected Maine political personality has quit and raised more questions of unethical behavior. She has stated that she would have to or was lying for Seth. Who do we believe?
7: This has about a 0% chance of passing yet Seth goes to the town/citizens/residents and asks for a cash contribution.
8: Most of the "facts" you presented like "Seth is talking to investors, is what I like to call RUMOR. Everyting and anything we know of this project has come out of either Seth Carey's mouth or Pat Lamarche's mouth and she says he cannot be trusted.
9: What large personal investment are you talking about? Do you have any infomrtion that would lead us to believe that Seth and/or his family has put up the majority of money themselves? Another Rumor

Phil

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Chuck on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:08 pm

Other people have had their reputations ruined in town with lies, rumors and half truths. The diference between here and the TRR is here you can defend yourself. At the TRR, the truth didn't matter. They just posted their lies without letting anyone get the truth out. Why do you think the Open Doar was so popular?

Phil B, don't be so paranoid about posting on here. You can get your message out, correct rumors and make sure the truth comes out about what's really going on with the EDC. You may have to answer some tough questions but at least you have a chance too.

Chuck

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-06-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Phil wrote:
KevinNSaisi wrote:
Here are the FACTS as I know them:
1> Seth Carey is the head of the Casino effort.
2> His proposal is on the ballot in November due to hard work and a large personal investment by himself and family and friends (non of which I know or believe to be elected or appointed officials except for his father).
3> The proposal has no financial backer at this time, though he is in discussion with a number of experienced comapnies.
4> Due to the lack of a signed contract with an investor, Seth has not established a specific location for the resort because it would put him at a disadvantage in negotiating/attracting an investor.
5> Seth is working hard to assure that the casino is both "green" and located in Rumford, but has to work with investors (who we have established are not yet in place).

If we want this to succeed, we cannot be working against the effort. Questions as to where it will be located and who will run it are irrelevent. Seth has applied for the licence and the proposal has indicated where monies will go. So, this is more of a casino concept decision, rather than a micromanage-the business decision. I find it interesting that so many want to micromanage Seth's efforts, but yell and scream when the Selectmen give direction to a department through the town manager. Truth be told, Seth's operation is a private business being built with private funds. How it runs is none of your business. Where it is located is none of your business. We would all like it to be located in our town, but the reality is that it needs to be located where it will be viable and profitable. Let's approve the concept and let the free enterprise system work.

Here are some more FACTS:
1: Seth Carey publically stepped down as head of the casino project because of his personal unethical dealings. What leads you to believe he is the "head" of this project?
2: Seth Carey has paid you money as reported on the PAC report.
3: Seth Carey has received over $135,000 of funding from outside sources. Who are these sources? How much was given? Are they owners? Was it a loan? Is he in debt? Was he given more? How much has Seth made from "investors"????
4: Seth Carey is asking the Maine voters to change the law that would make him a very rich man. this is not a private business as you would like us to believe.
5: Seth Carey faces possible disbarrment or suspension from practicing law because of his immoral/unethical behavior
6: Pat Lamarche, a respected Maine political personality has quit and raised more questions of unethical behavior. She has stated that she would have to or was lying for Seth. Who do we believe?
7: This has about a 0% chance of passing yet Seth goes to the town/citizens/residents and asks for a cash contribution.
8: Most of the "facts" you presented like "Seth is talking to investors, is what I like to call RUMOR. Everyting and anything we know of this project has come out of either Seth Carey's mouth or Pat Lamarche's mouth and she says he cannot be trusted.
9: What large personal investment are you talking about? Do you have any infomrtion that would lead us to believe that Seth and/or his family has put up the majority of money themselves? Another Rumor

1. He stepped down as President of the organization while he had issues pending, but has since returned.
2. I was paid for one days work in helping him file a report.
3. His investors are his business.
4. Seth is asking to have a law changed that restricts business so that the state government can run its own gambling monopoly (lottery). It is still a private business, just as it would be if you wanted a law changed to allow you to build a hot dog stand on a floodplane.
5. Seth's character is not the issue. He will likely not be running any of the business ventures involved.
6. Pat Lamarche lost much respect with her tantrum. She became upset because Seth couldn't pay her anymore and took out her anger on Seth. Her actions were very immature and unethical (in my opinion).
7. I have heard him ask for contributions, but I have not seen any municipality give him one. Again, Phil Blampied urged the town of Rumford not to contribute to a political campaign, and they didn't.
8. If it is all rumor, then why are we arguing???
9. Sorry, I accidently believed what I read in the Sun Journal Tabloid.

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Phil on Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

3. His investors are his business.

No they are not. This attitude is what has gotten Seth in a ton of hot water. Withholding information and maintaining secrets is what has caused this referedum to lose all credibility. If they are Seth's business then why does he have to report them to the PAC? I ask again, who are these people that might be business owners in the River Valley area? Is Seth indebted to them? If so, will the money he is asking for going to be used to pay off these debts? I think these are all legitimate questions that deserve answering before Nov.

4. Seth is asking to have a law changed that restricts business so that the state government can run its own gambling monopoly (lottery). It is still a private business, just as it would be if you wanted a law changed to allow you to build a hot dog stand on a floodplane.

So, if I want to visit a casino, I HAVE to choose one run by a lawyer that had his license lost or suspended because of unethical activities? I HAVE to go to a casino who's owner has spend dozens of nites at the local stripper shows and has shown not one ounce of moral character. Imagine if I wanted a pizza and had to buy it from a pizza joint that had health code violations. If not for the monopoly then the free market would allow good, honest hard working businessman to "beat out" lazy, unethical businessman. Seth wants to create a law that says no matter how unethical he is, if you want a pizza you have to buy it from him.

5. Seth's character is not the issue. He will likely not be running any of the business ventures involved.

Oh my god! Well, then who will be the people running it? Will they have lower morals then Seth?

6. Pat Lamarche lost much respect with her tantrum. She became upset because Seth couldn't pay her anymore and took out her anger on Seth. Her actions were very immature and unethical (in my opinion).

What facts do you have that could shed any light on this "Seth COULDNT pay her"??? Pat is on record as saying that she found out about Seth's legal problems by reading the newspapers. On Seths PAC report he has thousands and thousands of dollars in expenditures for all kinds of junk. No, what Seth choose to do is stop paying her not because he couldn't but because he WOULDNT.

I tell ya bud, youve been posting some very inaccurate information.

7. I have heard him ask for contributions, but I have not seen any municipality give him one. Again, Phil Blampied urged the town of Rumford not to contribute to a political campaign, and they didn't.

Why now? Again, Pat L is on recording as saying that investor talks have "broken down". Seth just asked for these donations last week.

This whole thing stinks.

Up until last week I was a supporter, now I will vote no and I will continue to support my community is preventing what I tihnk are low character people from destroying it.

Phil

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Mark_Henry on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:22 pm

I'm one of the volunteers working with Phil Blampied on the Economic Development Committee. Before the selectmen formed this group I was a member of the Rumford Revitalization Committee (previously the Downtown Revitalization Committee). Phil is a tremendous resource for the Town of Rumford. He invests a significant amount of his personal time in trying to revitalize and energize the local economy, and to my knowledge has never asked for or accepted any compensation for his efforts. I have know many professional "economic developers" in my life, and none have had 1/10th the drive or determination that Phil has.

That being said, several questions have been raised on this board by anonymous posters concerning Mr. Blampied's motivation and throwing aspersions on his moral character. If you truely want to know what Phil and the EDC are doing for/with Rumford why not attend the next EDC meeting? It's open to the public and all are welcome. If you wonder what we've discussed at the two meetings we've held you can get copies of the minutes from Phil - they're very detailed.

If you're wondering about the selectmen or town manager's dealings with Evergreen Mountain Resort/Enterprises then why not ask them? Every Rumford town meeting that I've attended has included a public comments period. Step up to the mic and ask. If you're not a resident (as I am not) you'll need to first ask the selectmen's permission to speak, but I can't see why they would refuse you. If you want to remain anonymous, perhaps you could ask another resident to read a prepared statement for you? I don't know if the selectmen would go for that (I wouldn't in their position) but it's certainly worth a try.

Regards,

Mark Henry

PS - If anyone wants to question my motives or complain about my character feel free. I've been insulted by the best of 'em. But be warned - I'll throw it back twice as hard as it's sent to me.

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Mark_Henry on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 pm

Admin wrote:This is a comment from that article:

If you had a really good job you loved but knew your boss had a different opinion than you, would you risk your job to be able to express your opinion? What if that was a relative? Your friend? Your next door neighbor? What if it was simply someone you go to church with that wants to argue with you at the end of each service? Most of us probably donít go to work, family functions and especially church to argue politics.

If expressing my opinion means that I will have to fear for my job, then it is neither "really good", nor one that is deserving of my "love."

As for differences between relatives, friends, and neighbors - we should all be adults. Respecting and fostering other beliefs and ideas - no matter how different from our own - should be something that we all support. It is the differences that bring us together, that give us a voice, that differentiates us from all the other countries in the world that require its citizens to act, think, dress according to a central ideal. We should all be able to agree to disagree, while respecting each others ideals.

Mark Henry

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 pm

3. His investors are his business.

No they are not. This attitude is what has gotten Seth in a ton of hot water. Withholding information and maintaining secrets is what has caused this referedum to lose all credibility. If they are Seth's business then why does he have to report them to the PAC? I ask again, who are these people that might be business owners in the River Valley area? Is Seth indebted to them? If so, will the money he is asking for going to be used to pay off these debts? I think these are all legitimate questions that deserve answering before Nov.

He has to report them because he is running a political campaign, not because he is starting a business. If they are reported, why don't you go look them up??

4. Seth is asking to have a law changed that restricts business so that the state government can run its own gambling monopoly (lottery). It is still a private business, just as it would be if you wanted a law changed to allow you to build a hot dog stand on a floodplane.

So, if I want to visit a casino, I HAVE to choose one run by a lawyer that had his license lost or suspended because of unethical activities? I HAVE to go to a casino who's owner has spend dozens of nites at the local stripper shows and has shown not one ounce of moral character. Imagine if I wanted a pizza and had to buy it from a pizza joint that had health code violations. If not for the monopoly then the free market would allow good, honest hard working businessman to "beat out" lazy, unethical businessman. Seth wants to create a law that says no matter how unethical he is, if you want a pizza you have to buy it from him.

Again, Seth will likely not be running the casino. That is why he is seeking investors. Those investors will need to have the experience to run the casino.

5. Seth's character is not the issue. He will likely not be running any of the business ventures involved.

Oh my god! Well, then who will be the people running it? Will they have lower morals then Seth?

It is none of your business. If you don't like the way it is run, don't work for them or gamble there. All the state requires is that they have the background to be able to run the business effectively within the rules. Seth obviously does not have that background.

6. Pat Lamarche lost much respect with her tantrum. She became upset because Seth couldn't pay her anymore and took out her anger on Seth. Her actions were very immature and unethical (in my opinion).

What facts do you have that could shed any light on this "Seth COULDNT pay her"??? Pat is on record as saying that she found out about Seth's legal problems by reading the newspapers. On Seths PAC report he has thousands and thousands of dollars in expenditures for all kinds of junk. No, what Seth choose to do is stop paying her not because he couldn't but because he WOULDNT.

I tell ya bud, youve been posting some very inaccurate information.

No, this one Seth told me about Pat himself. As for the expenditures, how long do you think all of that money lasts with all of those expenses and paying Lamarche over a grand a week to be spokesperson? It doesn't take a financial genius to realize that he may be running out of money and had to let Lamarche go so that he could spend the money elsewhere.

7. I have heard him ask for contributions, but I have not seen any municipality give him one. Again, Phil Blampied urged the town of Rumford not to contribute to a political campaign, and they didn't.

Why now? Again, Pat L is on recording as saying that investor talks have "broken down". Seth just asked for these donations last week.

This whole thing stinks.

Up until last week I was a supporter, now I will vote no and I will continue to support my community is preventing what I tihnk are low character people from destroying it.

It was unethical for Pat Lamarche to discuss the inner workings of the organization (if it is at all accurate). She has tarnished her reputation and I will not support her for any office.


Please note that my comments are based upon information I have received on the issue and my opinion. I in no way represent Seth Carey, Evergreen Mountain Enterprises, or his lobbying entity.


Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Admin on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:04 pm

Thanks for expressing your opinion Mark. Youíre right; we should all be adults and disagree while respecting each others ideals. Unfortunately, some do not behave as adults. Some are quite threatening and downright cruel if you disagree with them. Have you seen this post on the RFP?

]http://rumfordfreepress.blogspot.com/2008/06/extremely-disturbing-abusive-comments.html

This particular issue is one where we may just decide to disagree without being disagreeable.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 356
Registration date : 2008-05-24

View user profile http://rivervalleyfreepress.easydiscussion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Mark_Henry on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Admin wrote:Thanks for expressing your opinion Mark. Youíre right; we should all be adults and disagree while respecting each others ideals. Unfortunately, some do not behave as adults. Some are quite threatening and downright cruel if you disagree with them. Have you seen this post on the RFP?

Yes, I read the posting on the RFP several months ago when it first appeared. I do not envy the problems that you have here, or Ms Stowell-Norris encounters with The Rumford Reporter. I still remember the great discussions we used to have on the old
Rumford Forum (anyone else remember that???) before it was forced
closed by the same type of petty attacks and slanderous comments.

My personal inclination, were I to run such a site (which I have no intention of doing) would be to require potential members to register and provide a valid e-mail address before posting. While users would still be able to remain anonymous through a fictitious screen name, they would still be accountable to the forum moderator for their postings. Surely not ideal, but it would reduce this type of viscous, cowardly attacks significantly.

Mark Henry

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:26 pm

Mark_Henry wrote:
Admin wrote:Thanks for expressing your opinion Mark. Youíre right; we should all be adults and disagree while respecting each others ideals. Unfortunately, some do not behave as adults. Some are quite threatening and downright cruel if you disagree with them. Have you seen this post on the RFP?

Yes, I read the posting on the RFP several months ago when it first appeared. I do not envy the problems that you have here, or Ms Stowell-Norris encounters with The Rumford Reporter. I still remember the great discussions we used to have on the old
Rumford Forum (anyone else remember that???) before it was forced
closed by the same type of petty attacks and slanderous comments.

My personal inclination, were I to run such a site (which I have no intention of doing) would be to require potential members to register and provide a valid e-mail address before posting. While users would still be able to remain anonymous through a fictitious screen name, they would still be accountable to the forum moderator for their postings. Surely not ideal, but it would reduce this type of viscous, cowardly attacks significantly.

Mark Henry

Mark, How would that reduce attacks? Anyone can sign up for a hotmail account under a ficticous name. I prefer having all posters be required to positivly identify themselves to the moderator, so that if a slanderous comment arises, as has happened here, the party can be held accountable for their statements.
Kevin

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Phil on Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:40 am

He has to report them because he is running a political campaign, not because he is starting a business. If they are reported, why don't you go look them up??

Splitting hairs aren't we Kevin. If I also remember correctly his PAC was reviewed by the state campaign ethics committee for "clerical errors". Seth wants to be the richest man in the world and can't even get his PAC report right. I also think it is very relevant that Seth disclose all his business dealings with the public. Again, someone with absolutely no credibility wants us to keep taking his word for it. That is why this campaign is going to get slaughtered in Nov.

Again, Seth will likely not be running the casino. That is why he is seeking investors. Those investors will need to have the experience to run the casino.

So, who are these people? Whats the big secret? What people are the River Valley voting into our community? Again, all too shady for me. We should trust and believe Seth when it suits his needs and he can at any time defer responsiblity to some secret investor when the tough questions come in? What a joke!


No, this one Seth told me about Pat himself. As for the expenditures, how long do you think all of that money lasts with all of those expenses and paying Lamarche over a grand a week to be spokesperson? It doesn't take a financial genius to realize that he may be running out of money and had to let Lamarche go so that he could spend the money elsewhere.

So you think it is acceptable to hire a spokeperson becuase of her strong character, speaking skills and ability to bring credibilty to the campaign under false pretense? Whats more important, paying your employee or paying for pens and pencils? You said he had to let Pat go? Where did that happen? Last I looked she had to quit! Big difference! Bottom line is Seth Carey stole her services, now it looks like he has moved on to Len Greeney to be his "shield".


It was unethical for Pat Lamarche to discuss the inner workings of the organization (if it is at all accurate). She has tarnished her reputation and I will not support her for any office.

So, basically you believe whatever Seth Carey told you? Wow, thats your biggest problem right there.

Phil

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-08-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by KevinNSaisi on Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:41 pm

It is obvious by your reply that you have no interest in discussing this in a reasonable fashion. If you are going to use my words as fodder to attack Seth, I choose not to participate.


Last edited by KevinNSaisi on Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

KevinNSaisi

Number of posts : 723
Registration date : 2008-06-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Murph on Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:19 pm

Mark_Henry wrote:I'm one of the volunteers working with Phil Blampied on the Economic Development Committee. Before the selectmen formed this group I was a member of the Rumford Revitalization Committee (previously the Downtown Revitalization Committee). Phil is a tremendous resource for the Town of Rumford. He invests a significant amount of his personal time in trying to revitalize and energize the local economy, and to my knowledge has never asked for or accepted any compensation for his efforts. I have know many professional "economic developers" in my life, and none have had 1/10th the drive or determination that Phil has.

That being said, several questions have been raised on this board by anonymous posters concerning Mr. Blampied's motivation and throwing aspersions on his moral character. If you truely want to know what Phil and the EDC are doing for/with Rumford why not attend the next EDC meeting? It's open to the public and all are welcome. If you wonder what we've discussed at the two meetings we've held you can get copies of the minutes from Phil - they're very detailed.

If you're wondering about the selectmen or town manager's dealings with Evergreen Mountain Resort/Enterprises then why not ask them? Every Rumford town meeting that I've attended has included a public comments period. Step up to the mic and ask. If you're not a resident (as I am not) you'll need to first ask the selectmen's permission to speak, but I can't see why they would refuse you. If you want to remain anonymous, perhaps you could ask another resident to read a prepared statement for you? I don't know if the selectmen would go for that (I wouldn't in their position) but it's certainly worth a try.

Regards,

Mark Henry

PS - If anyone wants to question my motives or complain about my character feel free. I've been insulted by the best of 'em. But be warned - I'll throw it back twice as hard as it's sent to me.

Mr. Henry, I am curious to know how you came about being on this committee when you're not even a citizen of this town. Shouldn't those positions be reserved for people who are citizens of the Town of Rumford?

Murph

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:36 pm

OK. My post should have been worded more appropriately.

Let me rephrase.

In my humble opinion, $90,000 would be better spent with a paid professional economic development professional than an enthusiastic, but naive group of interested citizens.

I applaud Mr. Blampied for his attempts, and wish him and the committee well.

May I make a few constructive comments about your brochure?

I work with Economic Development professionals and businesses every day. Following are some the most frequently requested information/metrics used to make decisions.

- Infrastructure. What is the availability of power capacity, fiber optics, water, sewer, and easily developable real estate. Transporation?

- Demographics. What is the make-up of the population in the area. Age? Education? Work Experience?

- Demographics. (for retail) What is the population? Median income? Traffic count?

- Incentives. Are there TIF's available? PIne Tree Zone? Other financing or funding?

Intangibles, such as the beauty of the area, friendly locals, and so on are nice, but not usually a reason a business selects an area.

There are noticable exceptions to this rule. Take, for example, Fitch Engineering, who employ many well-paid technical professionals. The owner could base his business anyplace, but chose the River Valley area because he is an outdoor enthusiast. The internet allows him to compete. Businesses like this are also a potential draw.

Again, I apologize if my post was construed as an attack.

If the Council refuses to support true Economic Development professionals, I hope that Mr. Blampied's group at least works with the locals who understand how it works.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Mark_Henry on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:06 pm

Murph wrote:Mr. Henry, I am curious to know how you came about being on this committee when you're not even a citizen of this town. Shouldn't those positions be reserved for people who are citizens of the Town of Rumford?

Hey there "Murph", still playing with The Magic Tones? If you're really all that interested, why not ask the people who formed the committee, or better yet simply read the minutes from the selectman's meetings? Or is that too much work for you?

Heck, I'm in a generous mood tonight - anyone who's willing to volunteer their time can work for the EDC. I filled out the paperwork and my application was accepted - just like everyone else who applied. Oh, and there's no limit to the number of members, so I'm not preventing a Rumford resident from participating and giving their time.

So, now that you know that, can I expect to see you at the next EDC meeting? We've got TONS of work to do, and not nearly enough volunteers. Or are you and Timeout too busy playing video games and blogging to give some time back to your community?

Mark Henry

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Mark_Henry on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:13 pm

Dave wrote:In my humble opinion, $90,000 would be better spent with a paid professional economic development professional than an enthusiastic, but naive group of interested citizens.

If you're really interested in finding out what's going on, what projects are being worked on, etc. then come to the next meeting. I think that if you invest an hour to learn what projects are underway and what progress has been made by this "naive" group of people in just over two-months I think that you'll change your mind about the use of professional resources.

Mark Henry

Mark_Henry

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Dave on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:33 pm

Let's wait a year and see how many jobs you create.

That's progress.

Dave

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2008-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by C on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 pm

I think paying a professional at this point in town history would be futile- they'd drive him or her out or simply drive him/her insane. I think this grassroots effort could perhaps help the town discover and settle on an economic direction that will work for us (I disagree with most ideas so far) and give a professional, if the time comes when everyone agrees to hire one, a fighting chance of success.

C
Admin

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2008-05-24
Location : Rumford, ME

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Stop the falsehoods. Here are the facts about the Econ Dev Committee.

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:01 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum